Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Smells like burning!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

talula137

talula137

• Pip
  • 2 posts
;) My co-worker's computer has been randomly shutting itself down for a while now, and this morning it shut down 3 times, and also started to emit a lovely burning electrical smell from the CPU. ;) Any ideas? It is a 3 year old Gateway, but it isn't in our budget to replace a computer right now, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

~talula137 :tazz:

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Random shutdowns are associated with heat problems.

More than likely to be the PSU (power supply unit). they are cheap to replace.

Do the all the fans inside the PC work?

Take the side off the pc and switch it on, you'll soon be able to tell where the smel is coming from.

If it's the big box like thing with all the wires coming out,it's definately the PSU.

talula137

talula137

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, we opened it up and checked it out, and it is definitely the PSU. I called Gateway to order a new PSU, and they are backordered for 3 months (go figure!). I have a local company that said they could take the hard drive and mother board from our computer and put it into a new tower, so we will only lose 1 day of work. Thanks for your help!!! ;)

~talula137 :tazz:

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
You are very welcome, glad it's not going to take too long to repair.

Regards,

Usetobe