Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MOBO & VIDEO CARD UPGARDE

• Please log in to reply

USER-123

USER-123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had two old system an intel and amd that I brought together with a few new parts to make a sweet*** gaming computer. Now that computer also had gone past its prime. So now I'm getting ready to upgrade the system, but I need a few questions answered first. My questions are mainly about the core of the computer becuase thats what I'm upgrading. I know my questions are silly and noobish, but please bare with with. Thanks.

What is the difference btw AMD Phenom™ X4 Quad-Core 9950 125W and 140W?
What is the best or most highly recommended motherboard for an AMD Phenom™ X4 Quad-Core 9950 CPU?
Does SLI memory work with AMD setups? What does it help/do?
If I have 3 PCIe x16 could I put two ATI 4870 X2 and one Nvidia 280 GTX, but still have the abilities of both card?

Edited by USER-123, 26 November 2008 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I believe the way SLI or CrossFire works is that you have to have to have two identical cards for it to work - If you had two 280GTX's AND a motherboard that supports SLI, then you would be able to get the full performance from both of them. Same with the ATI cards, except you would need a board that supports CrossFire.