Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My c:\windows\Installer folder has become bloated, how can I

• Please log in to reply

Ted-T

Ted-T

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Today, the C:\Windows\Installer folder is: 2.40 GB (2,587,466,085 bytes)

So, I made an exported image of my registry.

Then, I then opened the file with Notepad.

Next I did a global search and replace of C:\Windows\Installer to T:\Windows\Installer.

Note the need for two backslashes as I discovered the correct format is C:\\Windows\\Installer. So the above entries would be C:\\Windows\\Installer to T:\\Windows\\Installer

There are hundreds of entries and thus a one-by-one search and replace with Regedit would be too tedious and time consuming and fraught with possible typos.

Now, before I pull the trigger and import all these amended keys, in actuality the entire registry I need to ask a few questions.

Yes, I have moved the folder as a test to the target location.

Besides Regedit and this global search and replace followed by an import, is there another way.

No I cannot clear C:\Windows\Installer as the uninstaller uses this folder when a program is being removed.

Do you think I’m nuts, rhetorically of course?

Thanks.

Ted

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This folder is used for uninstalling and repairing programs that use Windows Installer to put themselves on your computer.
Removing the files shouldn't hurt anything, however it will most definitely stop your ability to remove programs later and/or repair them, forcing you to seek out the original CD/Download again, hence filling the folder up again. You may also find program upgrades don't work either.

Realistically 2.4Gb on hard drives of today is next to nothing. My own is only 5 days old and currently stands at 912Mb.
If you are sure there are files in this folder you do not want, this is a better solution:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

The download includes a program called MSIZap.exe which cleans the folder up as well.

Ted-T

Ted-T

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, after posting the above I found MSIZap.exe.

I then employed "MSIZap.exe G" the "G" option without the exclamation point.

It removed a chunk, about 20%.

Then, I moved a large quantity, about a gig's worth to another drive. These were older files applied before 1/1/2008; most were *.msp and *msi files and then I moved some stuff from the $PatchCache$ folder to another drive.

So far no issues..

Thanks for the time and the reply.

Edited by Ted-T, 28 November 2008 - 07:06 PM.