Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New to Access & DB

• Please log in to reply

gbowne1

gbowne1

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi all!

I'm new to programming, DB's and Access. The only programming I have done is on rather ancient technology, mostly in BASIC, and it's variants like QBASIC, etc. I'd love to be able to learn how to do VB, C, C#, C++, ASP, .NET, etc.

I have the need to make a hobby-related database which contains data from 10-15 years of published data containing a small number of related fields. I tried to learn Assembly, like the type used in Microsoft Macro Assembler (MASM), but got stuck.

I also would like someone's help setting it up. I have Microsoft Office 2007.

Well, Initially the data will be for my own use. After a while, I may publish it to the web, or make it available as a download, or on disk.

The data comes from volumes of this book, from 1986-2009:

http://www.amazon.co...-...9465&sr=8-1

The data will be in the format:

Frequency in the format xxxx.x (where x = a integer value of 0 through 9). Some form of showing that this frequency may be "variable" as shown in the text. Some form of showing whether this is a new and/or changed schedule. Country of Origin: i.e. U.S.A. ; Station ID: i.e. Voice Of America. World time in GMT or UTC: ie 0 through 24h (23h,59m,59s) UTC. Transmitter and/or Antenna location, ie a town, state,city, province, etc. Transmitter power, in shown in kW units. ie 100kW. Mode of Transmission, ie AM. Alternative Frequency, i.e. 7995kHz. Season, ie Summer, Spring, Fall/Autumn, Winter. Language of Transmission: ie, Farsi, English,Spanish. Some form if indication that the transmission is "Jammmed". Transmission aimed at: i.e. S. Africa, E. North America, etc. and a comment about which volume year and/or years this entry appears. Some other misc. comments.

Someone was telling me that it should look something like this:

Frequency - Number with 1 decimal place format (not an integer)
Variable - Yes/No
New/Changed - TWO check boxes if the item can be both new and changed indicated by "and/or" in you post.
Country of Origin - look up to a table with country names
Station ID: Text field
World time in GMT or UTC: This could be an option group with auto populated combo boxes based on whether you choose one time or the other.
Transmitter or Antenna location - combo box?
Transmitter power - number
Mode of Transmission - option group or combo box
Alternative Frequency - number field
Season - option group
Language of Transmission - probably a multi-select list box? look up to Language table
"Jammmed" - Yes/No
Transmission aimed at - combo box look up to continent table
Volume Look Up to volume table, which will contain the year the volume was published.
Comments - memo field.

Are the option groups/combo boxes OLE objects?

Also, could you display and/or record the time in both Local Time and GMT or UTC? For instance My local area is GMT-8 (Pacific Time Zone). As well as when the aired programming starts and stops, in the same format?

I wanna do some reports, queries, etc. so that I can be able to type in a searh like a certain frequency range, location, 1/2hr to 1hr time periods (in GMT or UTC of course..) etc etc and have it give me a "whatif" type result.. For instance let's say that I wanted to know what I could listen to during a particular time on a given day, in a certain frequency range, etc, and then as well as have it relate to data stored in my logbook, which has a similar format, so that it could use that data to be even "smarter" as it returns results. Most people in this particular hobby use Excel for a logbook, and I probably will too.

The number in time format for the field "World Time in GMT or UTC" should show the entry's' program time stop and start times, i.e. from 13 hours UTC to 22 hours UTC.

Sometimes the frequency data in the original texts entry will say something like 7995.3v, which means that the frequency varies in some form.

Transmitter Power should show in kW (kilowatts)

The data should also show what days of the week, Sun. thru Sat. that the program is heard.

Transmission aimed at is sometimes published in the text as something like, C. Africa & S.E. Asia, denoting this Transmission is aimed at two areas, and rarer the entry in the text shows three target areas.

The comment field could show that the entry is shifted an hour later or earlier during mid year, and information on any network. The network is shown as one of several denotations, ie. DS, DS-1, DS-2, DS(FEEDER, DS-TEMPORARY, DS-IRREGULAR, DS-1(FEEDER), DS-LOCAL, etc.

The only other item to add would be whether or not the entry is "Irregular", as denoted by "Irr" in the text.

Oh yea I downloaded the DVD iso at:

http://www.microsoft.com/express/

Thanks,
Greg

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Microsoft Access has its own built-in scripting language. Visual Studio is an entirely separate program. And a very nice freebie download at that.

Realistically with all things in this life you have to learn to walk before you can run. When you learnt to drive you didn't go down a really busy road at 70mph on your first lesson did you?

Microsoft Access takes years to learn properly, it's a very powerful program. It's not something you can put on a computer and use in two seconds flat. You need to study the basics then build up from that. Once you've learnt the basics of Access and become more confident in it, the answers to your questions become obvious. Likewise if you're going to use Visual Studio Express, you can't just fire it up and knock off a decent program in five minutes flat - you need to learn the building blocks of the language, the foundations which when they are in place you can build on top of them.

mgr_classmates

mgr_classmates

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello Greg,

I agree with Neil. Just to add, you could use ACCESS to do this all for you so forget about putting your head in express.

in access, create a table with all the fields (station, program_name, AntenaNumber, Location etc) and then create queries to show the data. use form wizards to use your tables as data keepers and use reports if you want to create some sort of output reports based on some specific criteria.

as Neil already mentioned, it is not a 2 min story but if you are willing then keep looking, you are welcome for any more questions.

Many thanks and Regards,