Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes after 5-10 minutes of inactivity....

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Excellent, we have a new symptom. New is good :)

Have you updated any drivers recently?

We believe that there may be a device driver installed on your system which is not agreeing very well, and is causing these issues.

Through research, I have also found a new theory to try out. We're going to empty your Prefetch folder.

Please follow these instructions carefully, and let me know if you have any questions.

(1) Click on Start and then click on Run

(2) Inside of the Run box, type (without the quotes) "%systemroot%\prefetch" and press the Enter key.

(3) You will now see a folder with numerous files inside. We need to delete all of these. Not to worry, Windows will repopulate anything you need here. To do this, click on Edit, located at the top of the window, and click on Select All. Finally, press the Delete key.

(4) When prompted if you wish to send items to the Recycle Bin, click on Yes.

The Prefetch is now cleared. Go ahead and reboot your PC. Please let me know if anything changes. Please also note that I have been informed that after clearing the Prefetch, it may take a few reboots to fully repopulate the folder. Essentially, your computer may seem slower after we do this. The good news is that it is all temporary, and Windows will repopulate the Prefetch folder over time, which would be a few reboots.

Lastly I would like to have a better look at your system. I'm going to have you download an audit application which will essentially tell me facts about your PC which will help me narrow things down. Please follow these simple steps for me...

(1) Download WinAudit by clicking here. You may want to save this to your Desktop for easy access.

(2) Double click on the WinAudit.exe file

(3) After the application loads, you will see this message, "TO AUDIT YOUR COMPUTER CLICK HERE". Please click on the "here" to run the audit.

(4) You will now see a message stating that WinAudit is examining your computer.

(5) Once the scan is complete, you will have the information right before your eyes. Look at the top of the window, and click on File, and then click on Save. When the Save As box displays, please look below where it says "Save as type." Click on the drop down menu and select the option for Text (Formatted text) (*.txt). You may also want to save this to your Desktop for easy access.

(6) Along with your next reply to me, please attach the text file to your response. Underneath the text area you type in, you will notice the Select a File option. If you click on the Browse... button, you will be able to find the file to send me. Click on the report and then click on Open. Next, click on the green UPLOAD button to your right. Once attached, you may submit your reply.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Facedown98, 05 December 2008 - 08:52 PM.

Advertisements

5th Letter

5th Letter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
OK here is the Winaudit file.... only odd thing that happened is that i got a "system recovered from a serious error" message... but I guess that could be due to dumping the prefetch folder.... but anyway, here's the file... thanks...

Peace.

E

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I don't see the attachment :)

Please try attaching the text file again. For more detailed instructions about how to attach files on our forum, please click here.

Thanks!

5th Letter

5th Letter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
LOL, I'm stupid.... forgot to zip it.... there it is.... sorry bout that...

Peace.

E

Edit: Removed WinAudit Report

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It's no problem :)

While I review the report, let me know how things are. Let me know if the issue still shows up, as well as if you have updated any drivers lately. If you have made any system changes such as adding hardware, please let us know about that as well.

5th Letter

5th Letter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I checked back after about 30 mins. and it was indeed frozen again.... as far as drivers go, I don't recall adding any drivers to my system.... only thing i recall adding was nero 9 today, but nothing has changed since then....

Peace.

E

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, well, I'd like to start with one of the more troublesome drivers. Namely, your video.

You have a NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 inside of your PC. I can also see that your drivers for that card are a bit outdated. New releases generally fix issues reported from previous releases, and may assist you with this issue.

You may want to print this page out, as you will be restarting your computer in order to complete the process.

(1) First, you need to download the latest driver pack. Click here to download the NVIDIA driver for the 6 series. Save the file to your Desktop for easy access.

(2) After the download completes, we need to remove your current NVIDIA drivers. To do this, click on Start, and then click on Control Panel.

(3) Once the Control Panel opens, click on Add or Remove Programs.

(4) When the Add or Remove Programs window opens, look through the list for NVIDIA Drivers. Click on the item, and click on the Change/Remove button.

Note: If you do not see NVIDIA Drivers listed, please discontinue following these instructions and let me know.

(5) From here, follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall your NVIDIA drivers.

(6) Once finished, you will be asked to restart your computer. Go ahead and restart now.

Note: On this next boot, you may have a different screen resolution and your image quality may seem lower. Don't worry, this is the Windows generic driver kicking in. When we complete this process, things will return back to normal. Do not let this freak you out.

(7) Once your computer boots, go ahead and double click on the drivers you downloaded from NVIDIA's website just a bit ago. Once you open the install package, follow the on-screen instructions.

(8) You will be prompted to once again restart. Go ahead and do so.

(9) Once your computer boots, you should be able to bring things back to normal. If necessary, adjust your screen resolution. Instructions on how to change your resolution are included in this reply.

(10) Our next test is to wait and see if we have fixed anything. I want to know if the computer still freezes after inactivity.

Now, here are some instructions for changing your resolution, just encase you are not sure how.

(1) Right click on any open/empty space on the Desktop
(2) Inside of the drop down menu, left click on Properties
(3) The Display Properties window will now appear
(4) Left click on the Settings tab
(5) You will now notice an area at the bottom left of the window which contains a movable arrow for your Screen Resolution
(6) Try dragging that little arrow to the left and right and select the first resolution you wish to try. Once you have found one you like, simply let go of the left mouse button and click on the Apply button at the bottom right of the page.
(7) Windows will adjust your resolution and you will notice a difference in a matter of seconds. If you do not like the resolution presented, you have two options. You can click on the No button when windows asks if you would like the keep this resolution, or wait for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds has passed, Windows will revert the resolution back to where you had it set before you clicked Apply.
(8) Once you have found the resolution you would like to use, click Yes on the message box that appears after you click on the Apply button.

Please keep me updated, and let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Facedown98, 06 December 2008 - 04:07 PM.

5th Letter

5th Letter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hmmmm.... after installing the new drivers, I waited about 25-30 minutes or so...... and it didn't freeze..... :) Could the drivers have possibly been the prollem the whole time? Wow. I'ma give it another waiting period and see.....

Peace.

E

Edited by 5th Letter, 06 December 2008 - 05:35 PM.

5th Letter

5th Letter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Well, I gave it 30 minutes twice.... and both times, it didn't freeze..... so I guess it is :) ..... Facedown98, you are officially the champion.... thanks a million for all the help...

Peace.

E

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Excellent :)

Hopefully this will be the end of that issue :)

Looks like you're all set! Should you require further assistance, please do feel free to give us a scream.

Happy holidays and thanks for stopping by!

Advertisements