Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer's colour system crashed!

• Please log in to reply

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I have a Pentium 4 AMD K7/8. I'm not sure this is exactly what you needed to know...I don't know where to look for motherboard model.

Here is also the system info summary:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model KM400-8235
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1826 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 03.08.2004
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Romania
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 384,00 MB
Available Physical Memory 45,79 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2,00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1,96 GB
Page File Space 2,65 GB
Page File E:\pagefile.sys

In signed drivers I found some more info:

VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
Signed :Yes
Device class DISPLAY
Driver version 6.14.10.113
Driver date 02.02.2004
manufacturer VIA/S3 Graphics, Inc.
INF Name: oem3.inf
Driver name: Not Available
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_18421019&REV_01\4&1FEB96E4&0&0008

In software environment - system drivers I also found these connected to Via:

viaudio VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) c:\windows\system32\drivers\viaudio.sys Kernel Driver Yes Manual Running OK Normal No Yes

viaagp1 VIA AGP Filter c:\windows\system32\drivers\viaagp1.sys Kernel Driver Yes Boot Running OK Normal No Yes

fetndis VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter NT Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\fetnd5.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

fetnd5bv VIA Rhine-Family Fast Ethernet Adapter Driver Service c:\windows\system32\drivers\fetnd5bv.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

fet5x86v VIA Rhine-Family Fast-Ethernet Adapter Driver Service c:\windows\system32\drivers\fetnd5bv.sys Kernel Driver Yes Manual Running OK Normal No Yes

viaide ViaIde c:\windows\system32\drivers\viaide.sys Kernel Driver Yes Boot Running OK Normal No Yes

Edited by Kristina, 03 December 2008 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I have a Pentium 4 AMD K7/8. I'm not sure this is exactly what you needed to know...I don't know where to look for motherboard model.

Here is also the system info summary:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model KM400-8235
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1826 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 03.08.2004
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Romania
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 384,00 MB
Available Physical Memory 45,79 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2,00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1,96 GB
Page File Space 2,65 GB
Page File E:\pagefile.sys

In software environment - system drivers I found these connected to Via:

viaudio VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) c:\windows\system32\drivers\viaudio.sys Kernel Driver Yes Manual Running OK Normal No Yes

viaagp1 VIA AGP Filter c:\windows\system32\drivers\viaagp1.sys Kernel Driver Yes Boot Running OK Normal No Yes

fetndis VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter NT Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\fetnd5.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

fetnd5bv VIA Rhine-Family Fast Ethernet Adapter Driver Service c:\windows\system32\drivers\fetnd5bv.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

fet5x86v VIA Rhine-Family Fast-Ethernet Adapter Driver Service c:\windows\system32\drivers\fetnd5bv.sys Kernel Driver Yes Manual Running OK Normal No Yes

viaide ViaIde c:\windows\system32\drivers\viaide.sys Kernel Driver Yes Boot Running OK Normal No Yes

Yeah that was enough informatin.
Display adapter driver here

For the monitor, there are two sub models to your monitor 200CW8FB/00 and 200CW8FB/05. THe /05 doesn't have a driver on the website, the /00 file is here.

MAKE SURE which version of the monitor you have.

If neither of these fix it, we may need to look into updating your bios (I read online sometimes the available resolutions for the IGP is controlled by the BIOS). This will be our LAST option though, anything else we can consider will be done instead. THis is because if flashing the BIOS goes bad, it can ruin the board.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 03 December 2008 - 03:59 PM.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Luckily it's the 00 model.

The program found 9 out of date drivers, among which VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP and VIA Bus Master IDE Controller. Should I update both of them? Is it a good ideea to update all of the other drivers (even if they're not necessarily related to my problem now)?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Luckily it's the 00 model.

The program found 9 out of date drivers, among which VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP and VIA Bus Master IDE Controller. Should I update both of them? Is it a good ideea to update all of the other drivers (even if they're not necessarily related to my problem now)?

Lets not update the other drivers, just for now (just to keep as few things changing as possible until we fix what is wrong). Also, what are you scanning with? Via has a bunch of ads on their site involving scanning for new drivers, they are just that ads and not a via service. Instead, that page I linked you to has a download button for the driver. THat is all you need for now.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I had entered Scan computer for driver updates, below the download link. Now I saw where the right link was.

I downloaded from both links now.

Edit: ran the setup file for VIA, when I restarted the resolution was set at 1024 X 768. Much smaller fonts, overall it looks nicer, but there are lots of blurry spots notable.

Not sure what to do about the monitor files, I have 200CW8.cat, .inf, .icm. I doubleclicked all of them but I don't really how to use those.

Edited by Kristina, 03 December 2008 - 04:36 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I had entered Scan computer for driver updates, below the download link. Now I saw where the right link was.

I downloaded from both links now.

Edit: ran the setup file for VIA, when I restarted the resolution was set at 1024 X 768. Much smaller fonts, overall it looks nicer, but there are lots of blurry spots notable.

Not sure what to do about the monitor files, I have 200CW8.cat, .inf, .icm. I doubleclicked all of them but I don't really how to use those.

For those you are going to go back to the driver tab that you were at before. You will notice a button that says Update Driver. Click that then select browse my computer manually for the driver. Then select the folder that contains the inf file. Then click next and it should update. Grr...1024x768 is still a non-widescreen mode. Also, check power panel and see if any new options have appeared.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 03 December 2008 - 05:04 PM.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

For those you are going to go back to the driver tab that you were at before. You will notice a button that says Update Driver. Click that then select browse my computer manually for the driver. Then select the folder that contains the inf file. Then click next and it should update. Grr...1024x768 is still a non-widescreen mode. Also, check power panel and see if any new options have appeared.

I followed again the steps in the monitor manual and updated the driver with the inf file. Still nothing seemed to happen.
I don't know where the power panel is...

I also tried again to work with powerstrip, which seemed an easy solution, but it doesn't work for me...the 'advanced timing options' don't function and the clock isn't active. It seems the problem is the graphics card. This article shows it's not that easy to change resolutions...and no point in changing if the maximum in my settings is lower. For now, after updating the VIA, maximum resolution in settings is 1280x1024, not wide screen and lower than I need. :)

http://forums.entech...7e4ab93b2d3e32c

Btw, was there anything else I should have done with the driver archive besides running the setup.exe file?

Edited by Kristina, 04 December 2008 - 10:22 AM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I followed again the steps in the monitor manual and updated the driver with the inf file. Still nothing seemed to happen.
I don't know where the power panel is...

I also tried again to work with powerstrip, which seemed an easy solution, but it doesn't work for me...the 'advanced timing options' don't function and the clock isn't active. It seems the problem is the graphics card. This article shows it's not that easy to change resolutions...and no point in changing if the maximum in my settings is lower. For now, after updating the VIA, maximum resolution in settings is 1280x1024, not wide screen and lower than I need. :)

http://forums.entech...7e4ab93b2d3e32c

Btw, was there anything else I should have done with the driver archive besides running the setup.exe file?

Nope you have done EVERYTHING I have asked. Unfortunately, the problem breaks down to this. A BIOS update is required to give it the additional resolutions. To get the BIOS update, we are going to need to know the model and/or manufacturer of your motherboard. I am assuming it is a computer built from parts. To get that information you can use Belarc Advisor Free Here. This will give us the information we need.

That being said, flashing a BIOS carries a small but not far from negligble risk that the motherboard can be rendered useless (some can be repaired in certain questions but it is strictly based on the model of the motherboard). 99% of the time they go perfectly fine without a hitch, its that 1% that I am worried about though. I would hate to have the mobo trashed because of a bad flash, I would feel horrible. On top of that there is no guarantee that the BIOS update will give us the resolutions we need.

The other option involves you purchasing a videocard. Your chipset indicates that it supports 2x/4x/8x AGP cards (a type of graphics card slot). This would be a more fool proof option, as most video cards from ATI and NVidia should give you the options you are looking for. On top of that, they would give you a better graphics experience. The downside to these are they cost money (Low end antiquated models run about $30-40 shipped while some newer low end models can be found (which would trounce the older ones) can be found at around $70-100 shipped, the newest of the new high end models are, in my humble opinion, an outrageous $300-500). I know money is precious (heck I am unemployed right now looking for jobs, so for me money is super precious).

I will leave the choice up to you. I tried everything I could think of to avoid reaching this decision. I had a suspicion it would lead us here though. I hope this isn't too bad of news.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 04 December 2008 - 12:25 PM.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Thank you very much for your feedback. I say I'll take the chance and get the BIOS update. It's indeed a computer built from parts.

System Model
VIA Technologies, Inc. KM400-8235
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board
Board: KM400-8235
Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/03/2004

Edited by Kristina, 04 December 2008 - 12:19 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Thank you very much for your feedback. I say I'll take the chance and get the BIOS update. It's indeed a computer built from parts.

System Model
VIA Technologies, Inc. KM400-8235
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board
Board: KM400-8235
Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/03/2004

Ugh, unfortunately VIA never made these motherboards. I don't why yours keeps coming up with VIA. Instead they are made by companies like Abit, ASUS, Foxconn, Evga, PC CHips etc.

http://www.tomshardw...ve-real-problem

If you see the page there, they have the same chipset but it is made by Asus.

Hopefully, someone can chime in and let me know a better way to find out the motherboard maker and model number. I am just drawing a blank right now Posted Image.

OK, I looked at several images of boards using this combonation and they all look very similar. Here is an image of a board made by Biostar.
Posted Image

You see below (well to the left of in the image) the writing that says M7VIZ-SATA, see if your board has that writing. THat is the board model (give me the full text, part of it will be the model number, other parts will be version numbers and other things like that). Also, another hint would be the board color. Different manufacturers tried to differentiate their products by choosing different colors for the board itself.

Advertisements

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Hi! What I can see in the same region of the board is KM400-M2.
If that isn't the right thing, I can provide some pics, or give some different numbers I've found there. :)

Edit: I made a few pics of the motherboard, hope this helps:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gy3nzy

Edited by Kristina, 06 December 2008 - 09:39 AM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Hi! What I can see in the same region of the board is KM400-M2.
If that isn't the right thing, I can provide some pics, or give some different numbers I've found there. :)

Edit: I made a few pics of the motherboard, hope this helps:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gy3nzy

Wow, you rock. Those pictures saved me from having to ask you any questions about the mobo version. You have really helped me out in helping you through out this.

Your motherboard maker is ECS and the model is KM400-M2 (ver. 1).

The bad news is, there MAY be a bios update here (Ver 1.0d), but they make NO mention of any expanded resolutions. This doesn't mean they is doesn't have them, but the chance is really slim. On top of that, the age of the update (2004) makes me think no updated resolutions, as widescreen monitors were not really popular then. Personally, I will leave it up to you to decide if it is worth the risk of flashing your BIOS, if it was me I would say no it isn't and start looking at old graphics cards. On that note, I did some research and it appears almost all NVidia cards will support your resolution (including the older FX5xxx series cards, there are a few in this series that may not but that is about it, all other newer ones 6xxx, 7xxx, 8xxx and 2xx cards), they will also allow you to run DVI which will make your picture even more crisp (as VGA is only really good for 1280x1024 resolution or below) or you can just accept it as is. It is entirely up to you. With either decision if you have any questions I am here to reply.

By the way, you may want to blow the dust out of there with a can of compressed air, it is a bit dusty in there. :) Especially between the ram slots. Dust is a heat inulsator so it holds the heat in and can cause problems later.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Thanks a lot for the advice! I guess there's not much point in trying to update my BIOS. So it seems the solution remains as you explained one of those graphic cards. My question is where do I get one from? :)

Yes, I noticed quite some stuff gathered in there. :) I'll try to use a vacuum cleaner I think....at small power, that should work.

Edited by Kristina, 08 December 2008 - 08:40 AM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Thanks a lot for the advice! I guess there's not much point in trying to update my BIOS. So it seems the solution remains as you explained one of those graphic cards. My question is where do I get one from? :)

Yes, I noticed quite some stuff gathered in there. :) I'll try to use a vacuum cleaner I think....at small power, that should work.

Hey, sry for the late reply. Places that you can purchase from I like newegg.com (great customer service when you need it), some others are chiefvalue.com, zipzoomfly.com, geeks.com etc. While ebay is an option I don't recommend it as it is too easy to get ripped off in a situation like this.

As for the video cards, according to this thread at the nVidia support forums. All cards since the Geforce FX5xxx series have supported this resolution either automatically or via the option in the driver to add a resolution.

I have looked some and I am checking to find out if the same is true with ATI, because I found an exceptionally good deal for an ATI card (with respect to the power it has versus its cost). Hopefully, I can find some definitive answers soon.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Thank you for the help! The problem is I don't have a credit card and also I'm from Romania, so I was interested if this is something I might possibly find in shops here. I guess that may be something I need to search myself...

Edited by Kristina, 08 December 2008 - 12:17 PM.