Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Tabs and registry keys missing

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good day everyone, i've been trying to get help on how to fix this issue with my computer but has not got any good luck with it yet. hope i have come to the right place this time. =(

i just performed a complete system recovery on my computer a few days ago. started the computer, installed windows xp sp2 and sp3, went to the microsoft donwload center to get my updates and also got all my extras like, java, flash player, shockwave and direct x among many other updates. i also scan my computer with secunia just to make sure i had everything installed on my pc. well... about a day or so later... i started noticing that my computer was working kinda slow. didnt pay much attention at that moment but today and also last night i came up with the conclusion that something was very wrong with it.

sometimes i dowload stuff from the net (legal stuff) that comes in zip or winrar files. before doing the system recovery it used to take about a minute to extract a 50 mb file. now it takes about 5 to 10 minutes to do so. i also have problems with opening programs and working on them. the same happens opening new windows.

i have a external hard drive. at first i thought that it was possible that i had the write behind disk cache disable and that could be the possible reazon for the computer to be so slow (i heard that the pc slows down when this is desable)

well... i went to check if this was desable and to my surprise, the policies tab was missing. to make sure i did it right, this how i try to access the policies tab.

start+right clik on my computer+properties+hardware+device manager+expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controlers+right click on my HDD Device+ Right Click On It= NO POLICIES TAB.

right after this. i opened the registry editor, and locate this registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES. and well... i was expecting to find a few more than one key but there was only two and there wasnt the one i was hopping for to find. ComDlg32 and Explorer were the only two keys there for this part of the registry. so now... im completelly lost about what to do to fix this.

one last thing to mention is that im almos sure that is not virus related. i have AVAST installed on my computer, scanned often with it. i also have scanned my pc with hijackthis and there was nothing there that make believe that it is virus related.

here are my system specifications.
HP Pavillion Desktop 754 N
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition With SP3
Intel Pentium 4, CPU 2.53 GHz
1 Gig of Memory installed

not that many programs installed yet.

any suggestions would be of great help, thank you all in advance!!!