Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MOB Problems

• Please log in to reply

Basementgeek

Basementgeek

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 28 posts
Hi All:

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a 58 week old Dell Vostro 200. The problem is it 3 MOB's have died since I bought it. The original one lasted 9 months, the others have gone dead in about one month each.

Dell is coming out with another new MOB, as it is under warrranty. My thinking is that they should also replace the power supply as it maybe killing the MOB's. Any other ideas ?

BG

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I totally agree with you - the most likely culprit is going to be the PSU. Slightly surprising in this case as Dell always used to make fairly decent power supplies but it's still the most likely candidate for taking out a motherboard. It might turn out that you've just been unlucky and your particular PSU is dodgy.

Look at eMachines for example - they produced a number of desktops, notably the 270, which were notorious for motherboard failures. Admittedly most the mobo's emachines used were rubbish to start with (eg the entire Trigem range) but the cause of the failures was actually the nasty little Bestec power supplies they were using. I believe Packard Bell made the same mistake with some of their desktops as well.

Edited by Samm, 27 November 2008 - 08:13 PM.

Basementgeek

Basementgeek

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 28 posts
Thanks Samm- I wrote Dell and told them what (we) thought about a new PSU.

BG