Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista won't boot - help!

• Please log in to reply

Nick052

Nick052

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

I have had my Windows Vista laptop for just over a year. Yesterday, Vista crashed and it wouldn't let me log off or shutdown or restart. So I held the power button down to turn it off.

Upon restart, I got the usual "Windows did not shutdown properly" and I picked "Boot normally" as I always do.

However, the laptop hangs on the Microsoft Corporation screen (with the yellow bar moving across) and never gets any further.

I tried to turn it off and on again, but I then got a different message, saying something about a hardware or software problem and that I could insert my installation disc and choose "repair windows".

The hard drive is still ticking during this stage and the light is on. But it does not matter how long I leave it.

So far I have tried:

Booting the PC in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Save Mode with Command Prompt and also "Last Known Good Configuration". None of these work - they also get to a certain stage and the laptop just stops.

Inserting my support disk that came with the PC, although this only lets me wipe the PC totally and start again, which I don't really want to do.

I have downloaded an ISO image from here: http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/ and tried to boot from the created repair disk. However, although it says "Loading windows files" at the bottom, when it gets to the end, the PC restarts, then I get the never ending Microsoft Corporation screen again!

Has anyone any ideas what else I can try before resorting to the factory restore?

Any help much appreciated - I have spent days trying to fix this!!

Advertisements

Nick052

Nick052

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Eventually managed to get the disk working, and although it said it couldn't repair, after a couple of chkdsk scans and a restart, the PC is fine.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'd strongly advice you to run HD diagnostic from its manufacturer web site: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Nick052

Nick052

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

This might sound like a stupid question, but how do I find out what make of hard drive is in my latop???

Cheers,

Nick

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Since you can't boot, you can either go to your laptop manufacturer web site, and check there, or you can turn your laptop up side down, remove one screw, and you should see your hard drive there.