Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you boot up with blank disk in DVD drive?

• Please log in to reply

edenn

edenn

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I am using WinXP Pro w/ SP3. If I boot up the pc with a blank cd or dvd in one of my two dvd-rw burners, I get the BSOD. This has just started in the past two months or so. I do not remember if this was a problem before, so I don't know if this is usual or not.

The reason this has become a noticable problem is that I installed Acronis backup system, and I have been leaving a blank dvd in one of the drives to write the changes in files to. I have it set to run late friday evening (11:00 P.M.).

Is this a problem with the software/hardware, or is this just a normal occurance, and I should not leave a blank disk in the drive?

I guess I could change the boot up sequence to boot from the hard drive instead of the DVD. I am curious to know if this normal or not.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can boot the PC up with anything you like in any of the drives and if the PC can't boot off it, it'll just try to boot off another drive. Blank discs on their own don't cause any problems.
This may be more of an issue with Acronis than anything else. If it only started when Acronis was installed, I'd say the software is causing it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a possible workaround...set the bios boot order to the hard drive first...
the only problem booting with cd's...dvd's or floppies left in the computer that are not bootable...
is it will slow your boot time down

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have revised the boot sequence, per your advice, but I think there must be something wrong with one of my software settings, because I never had this problem before some recent software programs were installed. My problem is that I do not know exactly when this started to be a problem. I first noticed it when I installed Nero 9.0...I would get a message that "Nero Vision has encountered a problem and needs to shut down" anytime I tried to create a dvd video.

I had also installed Acronis backup software about the same time. I had set the backup to occur at midnight on Fridays. On Saturday morning there was a message to insert a blank disk into the dvd burner to burn the backup. When I did this, I got the BSD. I also noticed that if I had a blank disk in the burner, and booted up, I also got the BSD.

I have e-mailed Nero, about the Nero Vision problem, and they have given several suggestions, but no solution to the problem yet. I have uninstalled Nero 9.0, and did a clean uninstall using their tool, then reinstalled, and I still have the same problem.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did the workaround fix the problem....
have you tried uninstalling Acronis and nero both at the same time...
reboot ...use the system for awhile and shut down
reboot again with a blank cd in the drive and see if problem is gone...no problems booting
install one of the programs and reboot with a blank cd in the drive...still no problems ...its the remaining program causing the grief...
you can also try using msconfig and the startup tab and uncheck nero ...

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Update;

I changed the boot sequence, and that allowed me to boot with a blank disk.
I removed Acronis, rebooted (with blank disk, but hard drive as boot up), and it also worked ok.
Then I changed the boot sequence back to CD drive as 1st. boot device with blank disk, and it worked fine. I did this several times and it always worked.
I checked Nero 9, and was still having the error message when trying to burn a dvd.
I went to msconfig, and set boot up to only basic items required for start up, and my Nero 9.0 problem went away, and I was booting up with blank disk.

It appears that the solution will be in leaving Acronis off the computer, and adding one item at a time back onto the boot up to see which program is causing the problem with Nero 9.0.

Thanks for your help. I will get back later when I find out what is causing the Nero 9.0 problem.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)
I use nero 6.6 and love it...I have heard of later versions causing grief though...to bad they have "improved" it to the point where its causing problems

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I guess I spoke too soon. After leaving you the last message, I left the computer on with just Zonealarm running. When I checked the computer this morning, I had the BSD again!

The message was that Windows downloaded info to prevent damage to the computer, and it gave the following error;

Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x806e694f,0xed7acdb8, 0x000000000)
on other ocassions, I received the following error
Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000065, 0x806e694f,0xf6f72738, 0x000000000)

Upon seeing the BSD, I turned off the computer, and rebooted (with the blank cd in the burner), and the system came up ok.

I must have something running in the background that tries to access the burner. I don't know what is happening now, I thought I was close to a solution, but now I am not sure.

I am going to boot with a rescue disk and scan the computer to see if there are any trojans, etc.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we might have to run memtest but first lets see if we can figure out the application or system component causing the problem...
lets examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for recent errors that might give further clues. To do this, launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box... or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer.
post a screenshot or just tell us the app name ...look thru the log for repeating errors...

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Here is a view of the file

Attached Files

Advertisements

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
When I click on system, this is what I get.
See attached PDF

Attached Files

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
When I rebooted this morning, I went to "System Restore" to restore back to a previous time, and I could only restore back to a time that was about 15 minutes old. Other days were highlighted, but I could not go back to an earlier date.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try the application tab for errors...
if you get nothing there try clicking on the view tab...see screenshots
no joy...
click on start...run...type in services.msc...press enter
make sure event log is set to automatic
reboot and wait till you hang/crash again and follow previous instruction to find the problem app or system service errors

Edited by happyrock, 30 November 2008 - 09:22 AM.

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I do not know what is happening on this computer. I checked my e-mail when I got up this morning, and tried to listen to a video file. When the file opened, the video ran fine, but no audio. I checked my speakers, they were ok, went to foxnews.com to play a video clip, video was fine but no audio. I went to device manager, and no devices show up. I opened "SERVICES", and all but a few were disabled. I assume this is why I have no audio.

Do you know how to set these services back to default settings?

edenn

edenn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I found the information about the default settings for "SERVICES", and have put them back to the original settings. I don't know how they were all set to disabled, but they are back to the correct settings now. I will go back to the last few comments you had and see if I can get the correct reports for you. Thanks for hanging there with me.