Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NVIDIA geforce 7600gs Code 43 (graphics card) after Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

aznxfool

aznxfool

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey there, I'm having an issue with my graphics card or driver and am in need of help but couldn't find my particular issue on search :)

Okay, so I installed what seemed to be a safe update from Windows update which said the following:

"NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Installation date: ‎11/‎22/‎2008 1:56 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

This driver was provided by NVIDIA for support of NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

More information:
http://winqual.micro.../?driverid=3027

Help and Support:
[url="http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub""]http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub"[/url]

Now after I installed this and restarted my computer the next morning, I've noticed in my device manager that the Display adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS had an error.
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I've tried restoring my system to before the update. However the system restore seems to have failed each time I tried it for some odd reason. And now, 5 days later, the restore points of that time are unavailable. After finding out that the system restore did not work, I've tried uninstalling and installing new/old/recent drivers. This also did not work.

These are my specifications:
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
1.5 GB RAM
nVIDIA GeForce 7600GS graphics card
Windows Vista 32-bit OS

not sure if any other information is needed, but yeah. So there's my problem. I would appreciate any kind of help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I usually skip non-M$ updates, and I in general don't update drivers, unless there is a problem.
If I do, I rather go to the manufacturer web site, than rely on M$.
Where you tried to reinstall the driver, where did you get it from?
Beside the error, are there any visible consequences of it?

aznxfool

aznxfool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Initially there was a minor issue with my graphics (I assume) where my screen would randomly turn black and a notification would come up informing me that my driver crashed and has recovered.

So I hoped that the windows update was some sort of fix to that.

As for the drivers, I downloaded them strictly off of the nvidia website.
And a major issue for me as a gamer is that any type of open GL game does not work. such as counter strike. it forces me into 'software mode' which produces a horrible visual.
Most other games that require some sort of graphic rendering(?) do not work.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, this is what code 43 is basically about:

Code 43: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems
Diagnosis
A device driver notified the operating system that the device failed.

Your video card may be falling, but let's try one more thing.
Turn off computer, open the case, and clean it inside, using compressed air.
Remove video card, hold fans blades with a chopstick, or a pencil, and give the fan a nice cleaning, as well.
Clean video card connectors with an eraser. Put it back.
Restart computer.

aznxfool

aznxfool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
But do you know what caused it to become like this?
I'm pretty sure it's related to the Windows Update..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It may be coincidence, as well.
Read again:
A device driver notified the operating system that the device failed
Means card itself, not the driver.

aznxfool

aznxfool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, I will try what you have instructed.
I will report back tomorrow.
Thanks

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I should be around :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

It may be coincidence, as well.
Read again:
A device driver notified the operating system that the device failed
Means card itself, not the driver.

This is not necessarily the case. Take for example when you push hardware too hard with overclocking or heat, the system will often get a blue screen complaining of driver failure, but the actual source of the problem is the hardware. The opposite can also be true; a driver can complain of hardware failure when it is actually a problem with the driver. While it could indeed be coincidence that the card happened to fail around the time when the driver was updated, it would be more prudent and logical to assume that it was not coincidence, at least until all other possibilities have been exhausted.

aznxfool,

First, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Programs and Features. You can get to Programs and Features by clicking on the Vista Orb, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Uninstall a Program. Once in Programs and Features, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Uninstall/Change. Make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove.

Next, please download and install Guru3D Driver Sweeper from here. (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
  • Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, download and install the drivers found here.

Reboot when prompted, and let us know if you still receive the error message.

Edited by stettybet0, 27 November 2008 - 11:46 PM.

aznxfool

aznxfool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay so I've tried cleaning the whole thing out and tried reinstalling the driver but ran into the same problem.
But if there's something wrong with the card, shouldn't the driver at least be installed onto the computer?
When I run dxdiag I notice that in the Display section there is no driver installed.
I think I've run into this problem before but don't recall how I fixed it.
All I know is that there is a fix :/

Edit

Oh, I've missed your post stettybet
I will try that and tell you the results.
That will be in a couple of hours though, as I will be out this whole day.

Edited by aznxfool, 28 November 2008 - 08:33 AM.

Advertisements

aznxfool

aznxfool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've tried stettybet's method and it still didn't work :/

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I still think, the card itself has issues.
You may try to remove it, clean connectors with an eraser, put it back, and try again.
If that doesn't work, you may try the card in different computer.

aznxfool

aznxfool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've no other computer to try the card on :/
I really think it's related to the windows update though.

aznxfool

aznxfool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Bumpppp
Can anyone help me with this?

provone

provone

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Asnxfool,
I had the exact to the word situation happen to me when i turned my computer on this morning. I have been running a geforce 7600 gs on vista home premium for over a year now with not one graphical issue until today. one day after applying the windows recommended update of the geforce card that was attached to the weekly vista updates. I cleaned my computer out immediately, cleaning the card fan and all plugs, as well as the rest of the inside. i then rebooted to the same problem, system restored with no change, and uninstalled drivers and driver detectived the most recent correct drivers from nvidia, with still no success. i have attempted every suggestion posted on this topic and still my card has the code 43, and i am forced to run vista on normal display mode which looks primitive as ever, but still allows me to use my computer for all necessary functions(web, music, etc.) which leads me to believe that there is no problem with the graphics card and that the issue is related to the windows update as you thought.

I also would appreciate any new suggestions from anyone who has any idea how this issue can be remedied.