Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

optimizing computer

• Please log in to reply

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi I hope you are doing well. I only have 254 mb. of ram. So I need you to help me upgrade that. It is a Gateway laptop. Also my hdd is only 40 gb. Could you help me upgrade my ram and optimize my performance.

Thanks,
heat123

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Well the ram is quite low.
Go to http://<strong class...span></strong>/ or http://<strong class...span></strong>/ and run the checker to see what your computer can take.

How much free space do you have on the hard drive? Go to start/ my computer and place the mouse over the drive and it will tell you the "used" and "free" space.

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi I hope you are doing well. My free space is 33.7 hard drive and 16 gb. free space. My ram can have at most 2 gb. I have replaced ram on a desktop before but not on a laptop. So could you find me a guide about installing ram on a Gateway laptop.

Thanks,
heat123

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What is the Gateway model?
Replacing laptop's RAM is pretty easy. For XP, 1GB of RAM will be plenty.

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
My gateway model is NX200s.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Here is a document on replacing the ram.
http://support.gatew...08574faq9.shtml

Here is a link to the manual. Click on the NX200 series.
http://support.gatew...100/NX100.shtml

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi heat123, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

In addition to installing additional RAM, have you tried other methods such as cutting down on the number of programs opening on startup, running disk defragments, or even registry cleaners?

These won't solve all your problems, especially because 256 MB of RAM is just over the minimum required to install XP, but it may help all that much more.

Good luck! :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

In addition to installing additional RAM, have you tried other methods such as cutting down on the number of programs opening on startup, running disk defragments, or even registry cleaners?

Do not run a registry cleaner. It does no noticable improvement and can destroy the computer and make it a paper weight if the wrong entries are removed.
It is only for those that know exactly what they are doing.

But if you choose to do so, then back it up. Use erunt.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I have personally never had a problem with a registry repair utility. Backups are a must, I agree, because there is always an extreme case out there. However I really don't think repairing the registry is a horrible thing. By repairing the "dead links" which uninstalling and reinstalling leaves behind, it's helping your programs access what they need, are they not? Perhaps they don't provide a "dramatic" difference, but it's part of PC maintenance. CCleaner is a good program for this.

The decision is up to the user, however, I have yet to see a machine crippled by CCleaner.

EDIT: Oh, don't forget to clean up temporarily files and such. It helps on a smaller scale, but a lot of that is just wasted space. Even a Disk Cleanup would work nicely.

Edited by Facedown98, 29 November 2008 - 05:10 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
IMHO, if you're not experienced computer user, leave registry alone.
Cleaning "orphaned" registry entries won't make any visible difference in your computer performance, BUT cleaning one too many entry (wrong entry), may leave your computer unbootable.

RichAnd

RichAnd

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
When using the registry cleaner thats in Ccleaner I had no problems.

Install and Run Ccleaner

:)

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I agree I know about registry cleaners and such but don't use them becuase they are dangerous and don't make a huge difference. I am going to get some ram for the computer install it and it will be fine. Thanks everyone. I just don't like registry cleaners even though I know quite a bit about computers is because they are dangerous.

Thanks,
heat123

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted.

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Keep us posted.

You mean when and if it gets ram how the speed is and things?

Thanks,
heat123

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes, sir.