Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird restarting issue

• Please log in to reply

FireDemon

FireDemon

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had to restart my other pc after installing a couple programs about a month ago, so I restarted it, it got past the XP loading screen, then restarted just after hitting a black screen and continued to do that. I turned the computer off, came back about 5 minutes later and turned it on and it loaded into windows strangely enough. I thought maybe it was a one off thing so I didn't do anything about it. About a week later, I turned the computer on, got past the XP loading screen, it restarted and then loaded into windows correctly. Today I turned the pc on, and again the restarting cycle... I gave up, turned the computer off for about 2 minutes, came back and turned it on, and it loaded into windows right.

Any idea why it's doing this? And any idea on how to fix it?

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hi there! I've seen this issue before, and I find that it's usually resolvable by running a Repair Install of Windows XP. If that doesn't help, feel free to post back and we'll see if we can't get the problem resolved!

FireDemon

FireDemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sorry for the late reply, been extremely busy lately.

So repairing Windows should work? Because I'd rather just reinstall Windows instead... the computer really needs it and I have all the files off it that I need.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
If you'd rather just format the drive and reinstall that should do it too - just hit escape when prompted to repair Windows and then delete the partitions and recreate them. You can then format the drive and setup Windows on it.