Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC will not boot

• Please log in to reply

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi guys, I have a big problem with my pc

Yesterday i was using it and it was working fine, I then shut it down and went to the gym. When I came back I turned it back on and it jus kept on restarting itself after halfway through booting up. I tried to start it in safe mode, however this would not work either.

I pressed f5 when it was re-booting again and i got a msg sayin 'disable restart on system failure' I clicked that and it started to boot up again. Then it stopped and I got a blue screen saying the following error msg...

''Stop c0000135 unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because USER32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem''

obviously I cant boot up to reinstall anything (either normally or in safe mode) so I am really stuck on what to do now. Also i am a DJ and I have around 30GB of music that has taken me years to collect and I really cannot afford to lose it

If anyone could please help me out with this terrible problem I would massively appreciate it

Thankyou for reading

Edited by -AaronJ-, 28 November 2008 - 06:08 AM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I've seen this error before on a computer that was infected with malware. Please try a Repair Install of Windows XP, this should make the computer bootable. Then head over to the Malware Removal Forum, but be sure to read THIS first.

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, thankyou for the advice.. I will certainly try it

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
No prob - If it turns out that you're not infected with Malware and are still having problems, feel free to report back and we'll see if we can't get you straightened out :)

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
thankyou very much

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi again jt.. the advice you gave me was great, I tired it last night and it successfully repaired my OS so thankyou very much for that

I do however, have another problem now.. I wasnt able to find or dont actually know if i have an original XP disc so I downloaded 1 via a torrent and burned it to disc just so I was able to use the repair function. Please not that my copy of XP is fully legal and has its own valid key code.. I only used the copied disc for the repair function

but now, it says I have to re-enter my registration code to be able to log on. I did get some codes with the torrent, but i dont want to use those, because they will then make my legal copy of XP illegal

also, I am unable to use the keyfinder program because the system will not let me log on until I register with my code so I am wondering if there is any way around this problem?

Thanks again for your time and advice

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
You should (assuming that your original copy of XP is legitimate) have a keycode on the side or back of your computer.

If not, there is another way to retrieve the key, but it involves looking through the registry, so I'd have to have a staff member come walk you through it.

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok thats cool, yeah my XP is 100% legit.. I will check my pc later when im back at home

thanks again for your continued help

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
No prob - lemme know how it turns out! :)

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi again JT.. I think I may have messed things up a little here

When using the repair function, as you are probably aware, it deletes all the currnet files for XP, and replaces them with all the working ones from the disc

however, I think that it is then needed to enter the product key code that came with that disc, because, effectively, I have actually installed XP again from that disc, and it is not actually my original, legal version of XP that is installed anymore

I did find my product key.. it was as you said, on the side of my pc, but the XP activation process will not accept it because, im guessing, that even though my code is fully legitimate, it doesnt match up to the code that came with the disc that I have now taken the new XP files from

i have phoned the microsoft activation line more than once, but ive realised that the line is fully computerised, it is not possible to speak to a human adviser. If you have a problem, or dont enter the details its asks for, it just says its unable to help and ends the call

I really dont know what to do now, I guess that buying a new XP disc from the shop would probably fix my problem, as I could use the repair function on that and have the code for it, but as you can guess I am very reluctant to do that, seeing as I have already effectively paid for it when I bought my PC

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok, when you go to the phone activation window, there should be a button that says "Change Product Key" or something like that. Click on that and hit "Update." You should then be able to close out and go back in to activate it via the internet and it *should* take it.

What brand of computer do you have? Dell? Hp? Emachines? Custom built? The reason I'm wondering is because in order for the install to work properly, you need to have a branded disc. If it's a Dell, you need a Dell disc, etc. If it's a custom built without a brand, then you need a regular CD. Do you know what you downloaded? Do you know what you have a license for?

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi JT, thanks for your continued advice

my PC is a Packard Bell

Your are correct, there is a 'change product key' button, and I did press it and tried the online activation process, but for some reason the web page it directs me to is no longer available so, again, im at a dead end

with regards to whay my license is for, im not exactly sure, the PC i have was bought brand new from PC World a few years ago now, but there was never a genuine XP disc included in the package

Like you said, the 'product key' code is on the side of the pc on a small laminated stickery thing, but for some reason the activation process will not accept that code. Im guessing because the code no longer matches up to the XP that is now installed on my pc.. due to the repair function deleting my old XP files, and repairing/replacing them with new ones

I guess if this process was done with an original XP disc, then I wouldnt have this problem, but for some reason I wasnt supplied with this, and I can hardly go back to PC World now (years later) telling them they forgot to include a disc in my package

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hm....I know that when you reinstall Windows on a Dell you have to use a Dell CD and keycode, or the activation won't work...but I also know that you can use a normal CD on a Toshiba and it will activate properly...I don't know about a Packard Bell tho...If they didn't send you a CD, then I would guess that they sent a recovery partition on the hard drive. What's the model number on the computer? Do you know off the top of your head?

-AaronJ-

-AaronJ-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi JT, sorry I have to come to a relatives to use a PC now, as I only have 1 at home and that is the 1 that I have the problem with so my internet access is limited to whenever I am at a friends or relatives unfortunately

I dont know the model number off the top of my head, but I will find out tonight and post it tomorrow

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ok. I'll be here pretty much all day (I'm at work atm) but when I'm not busy I usually check in here.