Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New here- need help

• Please log in to reply

rwlgmw

rwlgmw

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I keep getting this message.

A fatal error in IE has occured at 0028:C0011E36 in VXD VMM (01) + 00010E36. Error was caused by Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smithfraud.c

*System can not function in normal mode. Please check your security settings.

*Scan your PC with any available antivirus/ spyware remover program to fix the problem.

Start up does not even get to the desktop so I cannot access much on this computer. It is just this message on a blue screen. I can pull up the task manager and was able to run Norton Antivirus (1st check 7 virues-deleted 2nd check- clean) and also ran Spybot- deleted 92 items found. I tried to run AdAware but it would not run off a cd and the program is not installed on this computer. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. I did read the rules of what I am supposed to do before posting- my problem is that I cannot run anything other that I mentioned above.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is this windows xp or 98?

rwlgmw

rwlgmw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry it was 98- upgraded to XP.

rwlgmw

rwlgmw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Also- because I cannot access much- I do not know if this was updated with SP2 and cannot connect to the internet.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
msconfig
choose Diagnostic startup
ok

reboot.

Can you access anymore? If so

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

rwlgmw

rwlgmw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have read through the info on Malware but there does not seem to be much I will be able to run with being able to download those programs. Can I download them to another computer and copy them to cd? This is frustating and I'm sorry but I didn't know where else to go for help.

When you select "Diagnostic startup" does the pc start any different? I did try that last night but it started the same as always- clicked on the user to log in and went to that error message. And I can't do Start>Run. I do not get far enough to get to Start. I have to open task manager and put Msconfig as a new task. If I could get to start>run I would be much happier.

Edited by rwlgmw, 04 May 2005 - 11:47 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, you can download them to a cd and burn them, but they won't help if you cannot load windows....diagnostic was going to load with minimal drivers.

I was only suggesting you check malware because I was certain that you would get in

OK, le's change strategies....

Can you load a run command

start > run
cmd
<enter>

rwlgmw

rwlgmw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes I can run cmd

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
at the command prompt, type
net user test /add

after you are told the command completed successfully, reboot and log in as TEST

work?

rwlgmw

rwlgmw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I am guessing there should have been a user created named TEST? It said the task was completed but when I re-booted it only showed the original user that was already there.

rwlgmw

rwlgmw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I take that back. I tried again and realized a mistake that I made the first time. When I ran cmd- it automatically put my in "documents and settings" I tried again from the c drive and it worked as far as creating the user. When I try to log in- I just get a blue screen- no error message. Do I need to re-install Windows? What do I do now?