Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grpahics Card Cooling

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hello again,

I have a PCI-E Nvidia 8600GT. Now, Thsi is my second 'budget' Nvidia card that i have purchased. The first one had an issue where the fan fell off. yes, fell off, started making a loud noise then stopped working. Low and behold the second one has done it to. So I took it off, bought a Antec VCool fan. Now, the card is running at 62 degrees celcius when i browse the net etc. I think, if i remember correctly it used to run at about 50 some odd with the standard fan on the heatsink. Is the Antec fan keeping the gfx card cool enough? I still want to play Age Of Empires 3. When i loaded that the temp jumped to 70 with the stock fan. Haven't tried yet with the Antec Fan because I don't want to damage the chip more than it already has been damaged.

Any suggestions to keep it nice and cool?

The Antec is doing the job and it looks nice, but it also takes up two spaces in the case because it's quite big just for a fan.

Could i perhaps not get a replacement stock fan from somewhere? Surely if the fan falls off it could be replaced?

Thanks!

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Hello again,

I have a PCI-E Nvidia 8600GT. Now, Thsi is my second 'budget' Nvidia card that i have purchased. The first one had an issue where the fan fell off. yes, fell off, started making a loud noise then stopped working. Low and behold the second one has done it to. So I took it off, bought a Antec VCool fan. Now, the card is running at 62 degrees celcius when i browse the net etc. I think, if i remember correctly it used to run at about 50 some odd with the standard fan on the heatsink. Is the Antec fan keeping the gfx card cool enough? I still want to play Age Of Empires 3. When i loaded that the temp jumped to 70 with the stock fan. Haven't tried yet with the Antec Fan because I don't want to damage the chip more than it already has been damaged.

Any suggestions to keep it nice and cool?

The Antec is doing the job and it looks nice, but it also takes up two spaces in the case because it's quite big just for a fan.

Could i perhaps not get a replacement stock fan from somewhere? Surely if the fan falls off it could be replaced?

Thanks!

Odd, did you make sure to put only a THIN layer of thermal compound (or maybe forget to put any thermal compound at all)? If you did this already, maybe try reseating the cooler, occasionally heatsinks don't sit right the first time and you have to try again.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi,

The heatsink is on fine, it's just the fan that fell off. so i bought the VCool to cool it as a substitute. I would however like it to be cooler than 50 degrees celcius when running windows and the net etc,