Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Consequences of doing a vista repair ? ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
I have been expeirencing a dramatic slowdown on my 3 week old self built x64 vista pc.

I have at present got a post in the waiting room which still hasnt been answered since the 24th concerning this slowdown. I have included a hijack this log, along with the information about all the security scans i have continualy performed, , , and still come up clean.
The hijack this log shows quite a few " missing files " mostly from system 32, , and with the apparent knowledge that my pc is clean of malware and any form of infection, i can only summise that this slowdown is directly related to the missing files.
I dont know why, or how the files are missing as it was a fresh and full install of vista x64 when i bult the pc 3 weeks ago. For the first 10 days it was running superfast, opening webpages and folders in a split second, sometimes without even displaying a progress bar, , , now it takes an age to boot up and shut down ( both 3 or 4 times longer than previously ) , takes sometimes 30 or 40 seconds to open a webpage or folder, and the progress bar is always present and moving very slowly.

In the absence of any other reason for these problems, i can only hope that its the missing files that are the culprits, , and my only option is to do a repair from the vista x64 disc that i have. This is still a worry to me though as i have never had to do a repair and dont know what the process or consequences are.

What happens with a repair, , what is at risk if i go ahead with it , , do i lose any programs or settings, , data etc ? ? ?
How do you actually do a repair from the disc, , or is it a better option to mark down all the missing files and search for each one individually and reinstall them manualy , one at a time ? ?

I really need help here as i have been at my wits end for well over a week now , , apart from the slowdown, the pc appears to be running fine without any other problems , , Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
I really dont want to go through reformatting and reinstalling vista again , but fear it may be the only option if i dont get some advice soon.

Many, many thanks for reading, , kev

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Have you check for a Dirty Drive
To check for a Dirty Bit, first. Click Start, in search type cmd, then open
it, at the command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c:
then hit enter
(This queries the drive and will tell you if it is dirty).
if it say yes then you need to do this
Start, my computer, open, click on Local Disk (C:) ,
Right click, click on properties, click on tools, and pick this
Option will check the volume for errors, click check now,
Now put a check in the boxes (automatically fix file
System errors and scan for and attempt recovery of
Bad sectors, hit Start and a note will come up and saying
that it can’t do a scan because there are system files in
use but can do a check disk on next boot up, tell it ok.
This will take about an hour or so!
Make sure you let it run till it’s done!

I hope this helps

Dwight

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Dwight, , thanks for the reply ,

I have already done dirty query on my drives and all three came back as NOT DIRTY , but despite this, i have still done a check disk anyway which as expected, came back clean and without errors.

I have ran memtest on both sticks of 2GB GEIL Black dragon ram, , thats fine as well, , cpu is running fine as well.
All three drive temps are between 28c and 30c at idle and dont go above 35c even when at load , and left on for a few days, , in fact drive temp only goes up a bit if the central heating is on full for a while.
Same for the cpu temps, , all fine only ever gets as high as 42c - 44c at load and usually about 33c - 38c at idle.

Asus P5Q PRO motherboard is brand new and apparently working fine without anything unusual going on.

Kaspersky, malwarebytes ,adaware and spybot are all updated and all scans come back without anything to report.

Unfortunatly, i never set a system restore whilst i was bedding in the system. I wanted to wait until i was sure it was running fine with all my usual programs installed before setting a restore point and was even thing of imaging the drive as well, , just in case.

I am at a complete loss as to whats causing this, , but its really frustrating to see the pc run so fast for 10 days, , then suddenly to start running like a pc crippled with viruses.
Do you think any of the missing files could be the cause of this problem ? ?

Is it worth doing a vista repair from the disc, , and what does this entail ? ?

Thanks for your intrest so far, , kev

Edited by rxkevco, 28 November 2008 - 02:39 PM.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, Take a look at this, just look down the page.

http://www.bleepingc...utorial148.html

Dwight

Edited by Dwight, 28 November 2008 - 07:04 PM.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hey Dwight, ,
Thanks for the link , , thats exactly what i was looking for to guide me through the repair process.

Now i just have to wait for the results from an OT SCANIT scan that i did yesterday as requested by another member in another thread. If that scan also turns up nothing of any note, then i am going to go ahead and try the repair option from the disc.
If that doesnt solve the problems i am having, then i very well may have to seriously consider doing another full installation of vista x64.

I will wait until this evening for a report on the ot scanit log, , if no joy, then i will be digging out my installation dvd again.

Many thanks for your advice and perseverance, ,

Cheers, Kev