Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with compaq

• Please log in to reply

-psychosocial-

-psychosocial-

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a compaq with 320 mb of memory. I just recently added windows xp on it. Now i am having trouble with it telling me my system save d is low on disk space, and my computer is running super slow. It will not play videos all the way through or anything. Please help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I just recently added windows xp on it

What do you mean by "added"?
What is drive D? What happened to C?

-psychosocial-

-psychosocial-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed windows xp on the computer. it had windows 98. I still have a c drive, but it has a system save d drive also.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Was it an upgrade from 98, or clean install? On what drive is XP installed?
Are C, and D different drives, or two partitions of the same drive?
What are the sizes of C, and D? How much free space on both?

-psychosocial-

-psychosocial-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It was a upgrade. All i can tell you is that when i boot up my computer it ask me if i want to use windows 98 or windows xp. Either one work. I was told that it is partitioned. windows is installed on c. I'm told that d is just a recovery disk. C: drive is 16 gb with 10 gb available. D: is 2.72 gb with only .99 mb free.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

it ask me if i want to use windows 98 or windows xp. Either one work.

I don't quiet understand. Did someone set it up as dual boot?

it telling me my system save d is low on disk space
D: is 2.72 gb with only .99 mb free

Usually, recovery partition is low on free space, since that drive shouldn't be used at all, so it doesn't need free space.
When exactly are you getting that message about low free space on drive D? You're not trying to use it, are you?

-psychosocial-

-psychosocial-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I dont know really why it ask me which os i want to use. It done the setup on its on as far as that goes. I done everything it said to do when installing it. so basically my computer has 2 operating systems on it. and im just wanting to know if and how to remove one or the other without messing the whole thing up.
Im not trying to use the system save d at all. It just pops up several times while i or someone else is on the computer.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If I were you, I'd buy bigger hard drive, install XP on it, and kept your current drive as a backup. It's pretty small.
You could eventually move your data from old C partition to a new drive, and format C parttion to have some extra free space.