Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer to TV

• Please log in to reply

ehstraub

ehstraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
updated them yesterday. do you have skype or AIM or something? might make this chatting thing a little smoother

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Due to GTG Terms of Use, I can't support you over e-mail or instant message. I'm trying to check with a forum admin now to see if we can utilize the chat room as an alternative.

ehstraub

ehstraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
[bleep]. i just messed up, i was messing around in the settings with the video card i think. like through right click on my comp. then properties and i was messing with some setting it was like full screen, centered, or aspect. i tried them all and finished with aspect, and well now the screen is unreadable and i cant see how to get back to how it was. so i tihnk i am going to go grab a monitor and see if i can see it thorugh there....

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
That's interesting...

See if you can get it back to normal. When you do, I want you to try looking for that NVIDIA Control Panel in a different way...

(1) Right-click on the Desktop and click on Properties
(2) Click on the Settings tab
(3) Click on the Advanced button
(4) Look for the tab displaying the NVIDIA logo and the model of card you have
(5) Click on that tab and see if there is a button for starting the NVIDIA Control Panel

Let me know how it turns out.

ehstraub

ehstraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i just brought down a comp monitor and am working on it. but i was in that section when i messed up the dislpay the first time. so it is def. there. i should have the display back to the tv in a second. thanks!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Maybe you changed the DPI?

In any case, let me know if you find that NVIDIA Control Panel.

ehstraub

ehstraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok. got it all fixed. no i am in that nvidia tab, looking at the settings. what are you thinking now?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Inside of the NVIDIA Tab, do you see something about starting the NVIDIA Control Panel?

ehstraub

ehstraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
sorry, i was doing updates. and actually sp3 has not been installed yet. so i am installing that right now, then i will check for updates on the driver, then ill get back to you. hopefully wont take too long. idk how long sp3 takes too install.
thanks!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you're doing it through Windows Update, expect about 30-45 mins. Let it run its course. Also update the drivers. You will see on the driver update page a link for instructions and hints on updating them. Let me know if you need help with any of this.

Advertisements

ehstraub

ehstraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok. everything is all updated. after i updated windows i could change my screen resolution but the nvidia thing was not in the task bar or in the advanced tab or display settings. then i updated my video card drivers. and now i cannot change my screen resolution, but the nvidia icon is in my taskbar and now the geforce fx tab is in the advanced section of my display settings. and i dont see a control panel anywhere in the geforce tab of the advanced part of display settings. any ideas? thanks

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So you can't change your resolution in the Settings Tab if you right-click on the Desktop and click on Properties?

If you open the NVIDIA icon on your taskbar, what happens?

ehstraub

ehstraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i can only right click and i think it is called the media center pops up. there are a bunch of different settings i can mess with, but all seem to be aesthetic. performance& quality, custom opengl settings, custom direct3d settings, custom color setttings, rotatoin settings, nview desktop manager, adjust display properties.

And correct, i cannot change my screen resolution. it is stuck at 848x480 and 32bit color. BUT before i updated the driver, i could change the screen resolution and color settings.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
In that settings area, are there just no places to move that arrow to for the resolution?

If you right click on the NVIDIA task icon you can change your resolution. Do that first.

ehstraub

ehstraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
right, there are no other tick marks for me to move the wedge to. Also, i cannot change the resolution from the icon. the icon is called the media center, not the control panel... should i do rollback driver on the video card?