Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help: I'm trying to delete 2 files and I keep getting an error mes

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
hi.

i have two files on my system and for some reason i simply CAN'T delete them.

whenever i try to delete the files i get an error message:

Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

i also can't move them to a different location or change their file names.

one file has a .jpg extension and the other has an .xls extension and both their icons are of the generic icons used when they aren't associated with a program.

oh and another strange thing has to do with their file size.... they are both zero KB!

i'm 99% sure these were files which attachments to an email i got and downloaded them. i'm also pretty sure they were once accessible files and were surely larger than 0 KB.

there's a chance that i deleted the original files and that these 0 KB problematic files are some kind of reminiscence of the original deleted ones. but i'm not completely sure about that.

can someone please help me get rid of them?

it's not that they are causing me grief or something, but it's just annoying to me that they're stuck there.

thanks.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Try this free utility which deletes problem files before Windows has loaded, as it's often the case that Windows is the problem as much as the file: http://www.emco.is/p...ot/features.php