Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reconnecting and Disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

Raiedon

Raiedon

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, I'm new to the forums.

I've been having this reconnecting and disconnecting problem for a while now, i'm talking 6 months+
I don't know when they started but i think its when i got a new modem, im fed up cause this is really annoying.

My setup is:

A Motorola Cable Modem SB5101 connected to my Belkin F5D9230-4 Router.

Basically i get random reconnects and disconnects which last about 3 seconds. While web browsing they aren't noticeable.
However, while using Ventrilo, Online video games, and Torrenting its quite noticeable.
I get disconnected from Ventrilo or the game i am playing. And while torrenting my speeds drop to 0 and start to rebuild.

Today i tried using a separate extension cord for my router and modem alone. Sadly this did not work.

Please Help!

EDIT: My internet works perfectly, no disconnects, when connected directly to modem.

Edited by Raiedon, 29 November 2008 - 07:45 PM.

Advertisements

10Ck3D

10Ck3D

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
when this happens in your browser (ie or firefox, etc.) does your browser become unresponsive or does it go to a lost connection (says your not connected in the browser)

because i had similar problems to this one... there are different ways to approach the problem

in windows go start->all programs->accessories->communications->network setup wizard (go through the setup wizard)

try this for now and try to update your firmware on the router if you can...

Raiedon

Raiedon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Alrigh ti will try this.
And my browser becomes unresponsive, but it loads the page after a bit or a refresh. sometimes it sends me to a not connected page.

Raiedon

Raiedon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

when this happens in your browser (ie or firefox, etc.) does your browser become unresponsive or does it go to a lost connection (says your not connected in the browser)

because i had similar problems to this one... there are different ways to approach the problem

in windows go start->all programs->accessories->communications->network setup wizard (go through the setup wizard)

try this for now and try to update your firmware on the router if you can...

I did this and no luck.
:\

10Ck3D

10Ck3D

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
this helped me when internet explorer was not responding:

Open Regedit (Start->Run REGEDIT) and browse to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Browser Helper Objects

If you get there, you will see few keys (look like folders) that are in numbers and alphabets.
Delete all of them. ex. {333URHGRIHR84594U3U2HHB4Y}

the registry is very important to your computer please go file->export in regedit

basically exporting a copy of your registry will ensure that if something goes wrong you maybe able to go back to previous settings

try this if it doesn't work we'll try something else :)

10Ck3D

10Ck3D

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
and if that doesn't work try a windows network diagnosis:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914440

Raiedon

Raiedon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

and if that doesn't work try a windows network diagnosis:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914440

thanks, but that didn't work either.

Raiedon

Raiedon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

this helped me when internet explorer was not responding:

Open Regedit (Start->Run REGEDIT) and browse to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Browser Helper Objects

If you get there, you will see few keys (look like folders) that are in numbers and alphabets.
Delete all of them. ex. {333URHGRIHR84594U3U2HHB4Y}

the registry is very important to your computer please go file->export in regedit

basically exporting a copy of your registry will ensure that if something goes wrong you maybe able to go back to previous settings

try this if it doesn't work we'll try something else :)

Neither this :\

10Ck3D

10Ck3D

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
might be a background program or even malware interfering with the connection:

1. press ctrl + alt + delete

2. go to processes

3. check whats running on your pc here: http://www.bleepingc...r.com/startups/

and an hijackthis scan would never hurt: http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Raiedon

Raiedon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:24:03 PM, on 12/1/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16735)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTXFIHLP.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CTXFISPI.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 12\pccguide.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 964\dlcjmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 964\memcard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcjcoms.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 12\TMAS_OE\TMAS_OEMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\program files\steam\steam.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O1 - Hosts: 208.109.206.98 L2authd.Lineage2.com
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTxfiHlp] CTXFIHLP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Sound Blaster X-Fi\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioDrvEmulator] "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\DLLML.exe" -1 AudioDrvEmulator "C:\Program Files\Creative\Shared Files\Module Loader\Audio Emulator\AudDrvEm.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 12\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLA] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLCJCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLCJtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dlcjmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 964\dlcjmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MemoryCardManager] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 964\memcard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [OE_OEM] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 12\TMAS_OE\TMAS_OEMon.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "c:\program files\steam\steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneCmd.exe" boot "C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Jr\Local Settings\Application Data\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\Profiles\nvsutil.nsu"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [SetDefaultMIDI] MIDIDEF.EXE /s:'Creative SoundFont Synthesizer' /w:'SB Audigy' (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [SetDefaultMIDI] MIDIDEF.EXE /s:'Creative SoundFont Synthesizer' /w:'SB Audigy' (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Clean Traces - C:\Program Files\DAP\Privacy Package\dapcleanerie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\Program Files\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\Program Files\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: dlcj_device - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcjcoms.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Quick Resume Technology Drivers (ELService) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel® Quick Resume Technology\ELService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMon) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: nTune Service (nTuneService) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (PcCtlCom) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Real-time Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
End of file - 9457 bytes

I appreciate the help you are giving me :]

10Ck3D

10Ck3D

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
i'm not allowed and not certified to comment or help anybody with their HiJackThis logs

please create a new topic and post your last post here:

http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Raiedon

Raiedon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ng-t219331.html

new thread.

Zeebee

Zeebee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This sounds like the problem I was having! I did this:

http://www.geekstogo...es-t172937.html

and it worked :)
Good luck!

Edited by Zeebee, 08 June 2010 - 12:59 AM.