Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Purchased PC from a closing business

• Please log in to reply

kikiera

kikiera

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi, All.

Just purchased a PC from a business which closed and sold all of its office supplies. I purchased the tower, flat-screened monitor, mouse, speakers and keyboard for what I call a little of nothing. Anyways, when I purchased this system the owner told me that I shouldn't have any problems. Also that there were no passwords unless it would be for the log in screen which I have taken care of and that part works perfectly. However, there are a few programs such as Trend Micro/Client Server Security Agent which when I try to delete it at the add/remove programs list it will not delete. Also, when I try to install the game Command & Conquer: Generals on this PC it gives me the following error -- Error 1603 during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information. There are other things that I have caught my attention but when I began a list in my head I realized that I just needed to get some help to give it a good clean sweep. If this doesn't work then I am debating on either calling the guy back or dumping the PC and just reinstalling the operating system. My operating system is Windows XP Professional by the way. I am running a Dell desktop system with Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3 and I do have admin rights. Also the PC has Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz 2.79GHz 504 MB of RAM. My system restore is on. Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Kikiera :)

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Kikiera
Step 1 is to check if Trend Micro/Client Server Security Agent has a snooze option. Then try to delete it.
If that does not work then I would start in safe mode then remove all the programs you need off the machine.
Cheers
Peterm

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi, Peterm.

Thanks for the advice. Lol, I didn't think about that. I will try those two options and get back to you to let you know which one worked. :)

Best,

Kikiera

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
hi peterm,
I tried to uninstall the program in safe mode and was unable to because it still asked me for a password.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Kikiera
Are you interested in trying to get rid of the programs or are you happy to just go for a reinstall.
As Facedown98 says you should have a dell recovery partition or he has a web site that will post you the disk for free.
Cheers
Peterm

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi kikiera and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Peterm is referring to a personal message I sent him earlier about your particular topic.

Most Dell computers within the last few years have been prepared with a recovery partition which replaces the restore CDs. If you would like, we can pursue that idea, or I also have an alternative method for you... As a Dell owner, I've had to take advantage of having Dell ship me replacement CDs. I'm not sure how I lost my original set, but hey, crap happens. There is a page on Dell's site which I can help you locate. This page will allow you to fill out a simple form, and Dell will overnight you the appropriate recovery CDs for *FREE!*

I think either way will work, but the choice is yours. The only way the recovery partition idea will not work is if the PC is too old --- that is, before Dell starting equipping PCs with that extra partition, or if the partition is somehow damaged.

In any case, it sounds like a good clean wipe is the best thing for you.

Keep in touch and let us know what route you prefer to take.

Good luck! :)

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi and thanks you two.

I am definately not satisfied with the current settings of the PC. I would rather get rid of anything that the previous owner should have before he sold it. Let's go for the Recovery partition option and then if that doesn't pan out then I'll go with the recovery CDs from the Dell website.

Best,
Kikiera
:)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Very well. Please follow Dell's instructions outlined for you on this page and let me know if you have questions. Only worry about performing a recovery from the recovery partition though. If it talks about Dell CDs, just let me know and we'll work around it. These instructions are pretty specific, so they should help you out a lot.

Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck! :)

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

I went to the page that you referred me to and have been trying to get the 'Dell PC Restore by Symantec to come up while pressing <Ctrl> + <F11> when the splash screen appears. I have attempted this numerous times and it hasn't worked. The only function button that has been successful is the one that takes me to the Bios Setup. From there it gives me the option to go to the utility partition by pressing either <F2> or <F1> ( I can't remember which) but even when I tried that as a last attempt it displayed that the utility partition isn't available. I'm beginning to think I may be stuck. :wave: Any advice? :)

Kikiera
:)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
When you startup press pause. This will stop the screen from flashing past.
then press the space bar to move on and pause again to read more.
The last HP I did I had to press f12.
However if you got the message not availablethen it looks like disc time.
Have you got the windows key sticker on the computer.
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sorry to hear that didn't work as planned.

I'm going to ask you to continue to follow what peterm wants. It sounds like he's got something in mind, so I'll let him continue.

However, you really should have the Dell restore CDs no matter what. I have found the link you will need. This is a form which you will need to fill out for Dell. Once received, they will send you your restore CDs for FREE. I've done this once before already, and they overnighted it to me. I had it within two days from submission. Please click here to visit that page.

Again, please continue providing peterm with any information he needs from you. In any case, you will at least have the CDs coming in the mail which you can use. I'll continue to monitor this topic encase you have any questions regarding your next steps.

Let us know if you need anything, and good luck! :)

PS: (I know it says "If you are considering an operating system reinstall, please click here for an alternative" but please fill out the form. The alternative is the same thing I've had you run through, which is the recovery partition.)

kikiera

kikiera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok, thanks for your help and i will fill out the form right now.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
If there is not an option for F12 then go the cd's.
When you load the cd's look for an option to format the drive. Facedown98 may already know the answer to this.
If it does not have a format option then if Facedown98 agrees I think it would be best to format the drive 1st.
Cheers
Peterm

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I agree with peterm. Go ahead and try F12 to see if the recovery partition activates --- the command to activate it sometimes depends on the computer model, especially if the manufacturer has not kept these things consistent.

My suggestion (assuming that F12 does not bring up the recovery) is to wait for your Recovery CDs from Dell to arrive. When they do, let us know what each CD is called, and we will link you to another help document explaining step-by-step how to use them. A restore performed from these CDs will wipe all information on the drive, and will install a fresh copy of Windows for you.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

You're almost there!

Good luck! :)