Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start Up

• Please log in to reply

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi!

This issue has been bugging me for AGES, and i've finally had it with it.

When my PC starts up, the Windows XP logo comes up, with that blue scroll bar at the bottom? Yeah, well right at the very beginning of that the screen sort of 'sticks' and then carries on loading XP. It's very annoying and everytime I see the need to format windows and re-install it, it will do it again! Not right after the install but perhaps after i install SP2 or an anti-virus or something.

If i have an anti-virus running would that be the cause? PC's at work don't do it, neither does my sister's PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I've seen a delay like you describe on many machines. It's nothing unusual. How long is the delay? Is it like a few seconds... or are we talking about minutes?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
No it's a few seconds and then it's fine again, but very annoying.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Admittantly, some machines will take a little longer to load than others. In fact, the load time on the same machine with different installs of XP can vary. Why this is is a mystery to me. I've loaded and built many, many machines, and this is something I've noticed too.

Windows itself loads very quickly, but as you mentioned, once you start installing other things (like SP2), or drivers, etc, windows begins to load slower and slower. It's understandable.

In any case I'm glad it's only in "seconds". Hopefully something you can live with unless you want to reinstall to try to discover what's going on.