Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switching Routers

• Please log in to reply

SLG

SLG

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey guys!

Here's a little problem I hope you can help me with

My old Netgear router (DG834v2) has stopped operating wirelessly, so I have to run my PC through the Ethernet cable to the router

I have just bought of ebay reconditioned Netgear WPN824v2 router which came with no disc or instructions. I managed to find the drivers on line, but when I run it, the wizzard attempts to go online???

Now I am probably being a complete numpty but when your fitting a new router...you can't connect to the internet??

I have tried running the software with old router (failed) and new(ish) router (failed)

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

Andi

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi Andi and welcome to Geeks to Go!

When it tried to connect to the Internet, where is it trying to go?

I would go ahead and press that reset button on the back of the router with a paperclip or something thin. This will bring it back to factory defaults, as you don't know what the person before you had it setup for.

When you plug the router into your PC and they are connected, open up Internet Explorer and go to 192.168.10.1

If that address does not work, try going to http://www.routerlogin.net

You should be prompted for a Username and Password. Try the following:

User: admin
password: password

These credentials should let you run an advanced setup on the router. The good thing is that home users usually don't have any customizations to make. You should obtain an IP and DNS from your Internet Service Provider, so setting like these can be bypassed.

I'm more interested right now if you can login under the method I have explained. let me know how it turns out, and let me know if you have questions.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Facedown98, 29 November 2008 - 09:13 PM.

SLG

SLG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thank you very much for your time

I tried that...sadly it didn't work. It keeps saying wrong address in the browser

When I turn on the Router I get a power light only. I have connected it with the lan cable that was supplied with my previous router...is this wrong? (None came with the new one)
I have also connected my ethernet cable to the PC and this does not show as connected to port one (ie a number lit up)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So if you directly connect from your high speed modem to your router, there is no connection, but if you plug directly from the modem to the PC, it's fine?

Can I just verify that you have pressed the reset button on the back of the router?

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
The default IP address for a Netgear Router is 192.168.0.1, not 192.168.10.1

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
For all Netgear routers?

Mine will not respond to 192.168.0.1 but responds to 192.168.10.1

I see where it says online that 192.168.0.1 redirects to routerlogin.net , but mine doesn't seem to do that. Perhaps only specific models use it?

Edited by Facedown98, 01 December 2008 - 06:58 PM.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have never seen one with a 192.168.10.1 unless it was set that way by the end user, but then again I have definitely not seen all of Netgears routers! According to the Netgear support for that router it could be either 192.168.0.1 0r 192.168.1.1 depending on the router model. The password is admin and password is the password, or you should be able to type in your address bar http://www.routerlog...asicsetting.htm .

Edited by Gnomad1600, 02 December 2008 - 03:46 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see where I can change it in the administration panel. That's really interesting :)

Try those numbers and see if you can hit that router with them :)

SLG

SLG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks guys. I have now got connected to the router doing this method (so thank you very much for that) The only thing is, the page that comes up, asks for domain names, IP stuff and lots of different bits of info?????
I know I'm a total numpty, but how does a novice gather all this information needed?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
For most cstomers, you can just set these things to auto detect, unless otherwise directed by your Internet Service Provider (ISP)

If yiou router came with an install manual, this would be a good time to to reference it, as it should explain what each of these terms could mean for you step by step.