Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems disconnecting devices from my laptop

• Please log in to reply

yekekenimo

yekekenimo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem I've got...

I'm having trouble properly disconnecting devices, i.e. my USB drive and iPod, from my computer. What I mean by this is that when I click 'Safely Remove Hardware', it will appear to work as normal, and the message box 'This device can now be safely removed' will appear.

But, it seems that nothing has actually happened, because:

a) when i do remove the device, the windows sound plays that indicates a device has just been disconnected (should it have not been already disconnected when I clicked 'safely remove hardware'?)

b) i've even gone to the Control Panel, Device Manager, and uninstalled the device, but still it will appear to be connected (the light still shines on my USB drive and the previously mentioned sound plays when I unplug the device)

I know it's not my USB drive that is the problem, because it can be removed normally from other computers. Oh, and my computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1, and has all important updates installed as far as I know...

Sorry if I haven't explained this very well...but if you have any idea what the problem might be your help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
a) This is normal. The sound plays when you unplug the device, not when you tell Windows to stop the device. Windows can't remove the device for you. :)
b) This is normal. The device is stopped but still powered from the computer. This happens with most external devices.

yekekenimo

yekekenimo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK then, looks like it was just me being paranoid i suppose!

Thank you for clearing it up for me :)