Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP address conflict

• Please log in to reply

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I did the search on this forum, but didn't really see anything that helps me. So here's the question.

I'm running my laptop on wireless in the house. This morning out of the blue, I get a balloon popup every little bit that says:

Windows - System Error
There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.

I haven't changed any of the router's settings, don't know what could be going on. Everything works fine, no problem getting online. I did however, first thing this morning, have to have Windows repair the connection. Seems I have to do that about once a week anyway, after the laptop is offline through the night.

The setup is a Windows XP desktop hard wired, and an XP laptop running wireless.
DSL connection, Linksys WRT54G router.

I'll be gone most of the day, will check back later.

Thank you for any ideas or suggestions.

Advertisements

10Ck3D

10Ck3D

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
i was going to recommend:

1. run -> type: ipconfig/release

2. run -> type: ipconfig/renew

the problem it seems is that you have two of the same if adresses
type that on one of your computer (pc or laptop)

and if you still have trouble i found a couple solutions:
http://forums.cnet.c...messageID=34429

or

http://compnetworkin...ip_conflict.htm

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks for the links. Reading the second one I got this:

"A mobile computer is put into standby / hibernate mode and then awakened later."

I'm thinking this is what happened, but funny it hasn't happened in the past. I was thinking when I posted first, that maybe a neighbor was using my wireless to connect.

I've been gone all day, had both puters shut down for the day. Since I've been home this evening, I've not had the balloon message at all. Maybe a freak occurrence?

10Ck3D

10Ck3D

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
"A mobile computer is put into standby / hibernate mode and then awakened later."

so you got this message after starting your computer?