Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutsdown when AC adapter plugged in

• Please log in to reply

Parvaid

Parvaid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400. Lately I have been getting the blue screen of death daily. And now I can only boot up on battery power. When I plug in the AC adapter, the computer will not boot up at all. It lights up for 2 seconds and turns off. I've swapped the AC adapter with another Dell adapter and the problem is still the same. It will charge the battery while the computer is off, then I can boot up on battery power. When I do boot up on battery power, it takes numerous times to get past the blue screen of death. Most of the time I have to boot up in safe mode. I've gone through the diagnostics system and it has found nothing wrong at all. All parts of the computer are working properly. Once I go through the hardware section in safe mode, I can usually boot up in regular mode, but only have use of the computer until the battery goes dead. Once I plug in the AC adapter, the computer goes black immediately. It does not go through a shutdown process. I have changed the RAM thinking that their was a memory problem, but the same problem continues. The last download that I had performed before this issue started when I loaded the HP C7280 printer driver. I have since uninstalled it and all of the HP drivers except for the driver that I have used for over a year with no problem. I assumed that the HP driver caused a change in my system and I can't seem to fix it. I tried to do a System Restore, but the computer will not restore, no matter which date I try to restore it to.

I find numerous blogs on the Internet regarding not being able to boot on battery, but nothing regarding the issue I am having. I hope that someone has had an issue similar to this and can help me. I greatly thank anyone that can assist me. The only thing that I can assume is that the system board power supply is having an issue or that the AC plug is causing the problem.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This can only be a board issue or a power plug issue. If a power plug issue it probably wouldn't charge at all so I'd say it's a board electrical issue which usually means, with board issues in laptops, it's beyond economic repair. This is not a driver issue.