Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDMI Chord for the 360?

• Please log in to reply

Libid21

Libid21

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Which HDMI should I get for my Xbox 360? There are a lot of prices, but I was told by my brother to ask on a tech forum which one to get because he said all of them are basically the same. I was told to look for one around $5, but I have no idea what to look for. Any help here?

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi Libid21,

HDMI format is pretty much a digital version of RGB analog video. The principal signal in an HDMI cable is carried on four shielded twisted pairs ( kind of like a CAT5 cable, but with shielding added), one of which is for red, one for blue, and one for green. Sync pulses, which tell the display where a line or frame ends or begins, are carried on the blue line. In some cases, rather than RGB video, HDMI carries Y/Pb/Pr "color-difference" video, which represents the same information as RGB but differently conveyed. The fourth twisted pair carries a digital clock signal, and seven miscellaneous additional conductors carry some signaling and incidental functions.

So there are a lot things being done inside the cable, not to even mention the connectors. So if you go with the cheapest maker you can find, you will surely get a cheap product that may not work right or perform the way you want it to.

Now that I got the technical stuff out of the way… I bought an HDMI cable for $20 at a local retailer, and borrowed my Brother In-laws $80 name brand HDMI cable that he had previously purchased. Anybody what to take a guess at the difference?

No difference what so ever was noticeable to me at all… So I personally would not buy an HDMI cable for more then $25, but I don’t think I would buy one for $2 or $5 because I just think your asking for trouble. :)

Libid21

Libid21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Hi Libid21,

HDMI format is pretty much a digital version of RGB analog video. The principal signal in an HDMI cable is carried on four shielded twisted pairs ( kind of like a CAT5 cable, but with shielding added), one of which is for red, one for blue, and one for green. Sync pulses, which tell the display where a line or frame ends or begins, are carried on the blue line. In some cases, rather than RGB video, HDMI carries Y/Pb/Pr "color-difference" video, which represents the same information as RGB but differently conveyed. The fourth twisted pair carries a digital clock signal, and seven miscellaneous additional conductors carry some signaling and incidental functions.

So there are a lot things being done inside the cable, not to even mention the connectors. So if you go with the cheapest maker you can find, you will surely get a cheap product that may not work right or perform the way you want it to.

Now that I got the technical stuff out of the way… I bought an HDMI cable for $20 at a local retailer, and borrowed my Brother In-laws $80 name brand HDMI cable that he had previously purchased. Anybody what to take a guess at the difference?

No difference what so ever was noticeable to me at all… So I personally would not buy an HDMI cable for more then $25, but I don’t think I would buy one for $2 or $5 because I just think your asking for trouble. :)

How would I be asking for trouble?

I bought a $1.89 one from Amazon which received thousands of good reviews.

Edited by Libid21, 30 November 2008 - 01:43 PM.

Libid21

Libid21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
Well I was just told that the one that I bought which can be found here is not going to work with the 360. It was cheap, so I think I'll just give it to my uncle who has a PS3 and watches a lot of Blu-Ray DVDs and stuff.

So can someone please link me or help me find a specific model or HDMI cable that I should buy?

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Well I was just told that the one that I bought which can be found here is not going to work with the 360. It was cheap, so I think I'll just give it to my uncle who has a PS3 and watches a lot of Blu-Ray DVDs and stuff.

So can someone please link me or help me find a specific model or HDMI cable that I should buy?

Libid21:

I would go to a Gamestop/EBGames and tell them you have an XBOX360, and ask them for the cable for the machine: That way, you know it comes from M$, and you should not have a problem. IF you get the elite, it comes with such a cable I believe :)

Good Luck!!

Brian

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Xbox 360 HDMI AV Cable

Or

Xbox 360 HDMI Conversion Kit

Both are rather expensive… I read somewhere that the new Xbox and the elite Xbox come with an HDMI port.

wambo

wambo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
In my opinion cheap cables look worse, then again I've only found this with Scart.

Not really tested HDMI myself.

Just go for a mid price one.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
HDMI is digital. Either it transmits data or it doesn't. I could give you a big long answer about this, but a quick google shows that someone has already done that for me. See here for further information.