Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows does not recognize dvd-rw

• Please log in to reply

ladio

ladio

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I started in the hardware forum with my problem. But now I think it is a operating system problem.

My problem is that my dvd-rw drive works fine execpt that the drive will not recognize blank dvd's. The drive will burn cd's, play dvd's and cd's, but will not burn dvd's. It was sugested in the hardware forum that my drive is going bad. So, I replaced the drive and the same thing occurs. I checked further and discovered that I'm able to burn dvd's with this drive when using Nero. I just can't burn dvd's with windows media center or windows. When I put a blank dvd- or +r into the drive, the drive switches from dvd-rw to cd drive in "my computer" and doesn't recognize that media. So, windows will not allow me to burn dvd's or burn dvd's in media center. Obviously something has changed causes this to happen. I don't know what to do. I'm almost ready to reinstall the operating system. But I don't want to.

My operating system is windows media center 2005 sp3. My computer is sony vaio vgc-rb38g.

I appreciate any help.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi ladio and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Here are some "best practices" to run.

Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

If after doing that your drive still acts up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above. Also, let me know if you have any questions!

Good luck! :)

ladio

ladio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I have executed all of your instructions with no luck.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I'm not all that familiar with Nero, but tell me, if you right-click on that drive, do you see something about "Drag to Disc"?

ladio

ladio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
No

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can burn using nero then don't worry about it...the packet writing options like neros incd and windows version of it (Drag-to-Disc (formerly DirectCD)) should not be used because sometimes other computers will not be able to read the files...even though your computer can read them...
if/ when your system goes down for whatever reason you may not ever again be able to get the data back...
this does not happen if you use nero to burn the data to cd/dvd's

Edited by happyrock, 30 November 2008 - 08:18 AM.

bookum-dano

bookum-dano

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi ladio and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Here are some "best practices" to run.

Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:

• Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

If after doing that your drive still acts up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above. Also, let me know if you have any questions!

Good luck! :)

Mahalo Facedown98 this worked 4 me I am running Windows 2003 Enterprise Server SP2 Again Mahalo :)

SouthSaratoga

SouthSaratoga

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thank you, Ladio.  Your solution did the job.