Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

endless reboot after installing service pack

• Please log in to reply

munkymunky

munkymunky

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I installed a critical update, servicepack 2, that had been automatically downloaded. It did not complete the install because it said a file was missing. It began to automatically uninstall but I aborted the uninstall. It then entered endless rebooting. I have tried safe mode, last good configuration, reintalling windows xp, entering scandsk/p in repair mode and nothing works. I see similar problems posted with this update but no solutions that work. Please, someone, Help!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

I installed a critical update, servicepack 2, that had been automatically downloaded.  It did not complete the install because it said a file was missing.  It began to automatically uninstall but I aborted the uninstall.  It then entered endless rebooting.  I have tried safe mode, last good configuration, reintalling windows xp, entering scandsk/p in repair mode and nothing works.  I see similar problems posted with this update but no solutions that work.  Please, someone, Help!

View Post

I don't know that it can be helped you've left your system in an extremely bad state by aborting an uninstall...what did you abort? the sp2 uninstall or the critical update....why on earth did you do that?

oemphoenix

oemphoenix

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i had the same problem although i already had service pack 2 installed. Re-installed Xp and works fine for me now..... :tazz: