Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dear God in PC Heaven WHat Can I DO?!

• Please log in to reply

Edward TJ Brown

Edward TJ Brown

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP desktop computer. It was a family hand me down, if you will, after my laptop computer's keyboard (most of it anyways) and CD player died on me.

Recently I had to reinstall the software due to a system's crash and my monitor dying on me. Managed to pick up a new monitor for free from some friends of mine. I have been having problems installing and registering Windows XP.
Installation seems to work well, but whenever I attempt to register Windows XP online the code I have keeps coming back as an error.

Part of the problem, I fear, is that I am not sure if the original CD's for this computer still exist somewhere around the house. Hence, I had to use the two CD's from my laptop, which may account for the registration problem. So what are my options?

If I take off the Windows XP from my laptop pc, will it allow me to register it on my desktop pc? If I buy a new Windows XP package how would is that going to run me and what happens if I cannot find the original CD's that came with the computer?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi Edward, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

For starters, your Windows Key from your laptop will not pass activation on this desktop.

Also, you're mentioning that Windows is having a hard time registering. Do you mean activation, or registration? Activation is mandatory in order for Windows to continue working for more than 30 days, while registration is completely optional. I'm thinking maybe you just got the terms crossed, but I want to make sure.

Also, if you are unable to locate the restore CDs, don't worry too much.

HP installs a restore partition on their PCs, the same way most manufacturers do these days. Unless the partition was disturbed, the computer should be able to restore without any CDs. The only way I can see this not working is if the computer is too old --- what I mean is that HP might not have been offering Restore Partitions when that computer model was engineered.

Alternatively, HP sells restore CDs. It's common that people lose them. Those usually run for about $10, however, you might find a better deal on eBay or a third party service. The trick to buying these CDs is to make sure that your PC model is supported. It wil say so on the CD.

Also, from my experience with HP, you will need two CDs. A "Restore CD" which is specific to model, and then an "Operating System CD" which is specific to the operating system you are using.

If you have any questions, let me know!