Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Continuous Rebooting

• Please log in to reply

eddyduane

eddyduane

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer won't boot. It starts to boot, gets as far as the initial windows screen, momentarily flashes a blue screen (I think it's the Blue screen of death) and then it tries to reboot again with the same result. I can't get it to boot in any way. (safe mode, safe mode with prompt, last known good configuration, or normal mode). Infact, when I try any one of those, it just starts the reboot cycle again. I have already tried several boot disc's to no avail. (I don't have the original CD or the original code). I have a load of software and hundreds of important files on this harddrive. I must fix this problem....PLEASE, any help would be really appreciated.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Where is your original cd and key code?

Murray

eddyduane

eddyduane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I lost all of my computer stuff in a flood last year. I just had time to grab my computer tower and get out. We lost everything else...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Make and model of your system?

Do you have access to another computer you can slave your hdd to?

Murray

RichAnd

RichAnd

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Take to your local computer repair shop if files so important to you.

Worth the $$

:)

eddyduane

eddyduane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Murray, I did that but the harddrive just keeps doing the continuous reboot

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You did what?

Again, what is the make and model of your system?

Murray

eddyduane

eddyduane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Murray, I bought the components and had the computer built.... AMD AtHLON 1800 PROCESSOR...ASUS MOTHERBOARD...1024 RAM...400 WT POWER SUPPLY. That was about 7 years ago. Even though it was an older computer, it has always worked very well for me.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. that hurts a bit.

When you say you used several boot disks, what are you referring to - other XP cd's or what?

Were the XP cd's (if that is what you used) the exact same version as the one on your system?

What happened when you tried to use them?

Have you slaved your hdd to a different system and pulled your files off yet?

Murray

eddyduane

eddyduane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Murray, (1st question) I have 2 boot disc's. #1 is called the "Black Boot Disc"..and the other is called the "Ultimate Boot Disc". Both disc's claim to be able to be able to boot ANY system from the disc...But...when I inserted them into the CDdrive, it just continues to reboot itself. (2nd question) I took my tower into the only computer shop in town. (I live in a little town on the coast of Oregon). The guy that runs the shop could'nt get past the continuous rebooting. I then removed the harddrive, brought it home, and inserted it into my wife's computer. ( unplugging her harddrive ). My harddrive did the same continuous rebooting. I guess the problem is on my harddrive, not in the rest of my system. I am recovering from cancer and don't have the money to take the harddrive into Portland to a tech, and get it fixed. (if it can be). A friend of mine told me that I might be able to get the help I needed on your forum. That's why I contacted you. I know this is a serious problem with my harddrive, but I would appreciate any help you can give...CW

dragontree

dragontree

• Pip
  • 5 posts
You are not supposed to disconnect the other HD. Leave it plugged in so you can boot from that drive. You have to set your drive as slave. If its a sata drive then just plug it in, but if itse ide, then you have to change some jumpers to allow it to work as a slave drive.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Does your wife have a retail XP cd or a Recovery/Restore cd?

If it is not an OEM, then you can boot using that cd (make sure the first boot device in BIOS is set to the cd drive).

Once the system boots to the cd, go to the Recovery Console (watch the screen as it will tell you what key to press to get there and when).

Once in the RC, type in chkdsk /r and press enter. Let it run. Once finished, remove the cd and reboot.

Murray