Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random FPS drop

• Please log in to reply

yuzkoff

yuzkoff

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Not sure where to post this but I've been having a strange problem with my PC getting debilitating fps drop accompanied by some sort of scratchy sound in the audio. I tried reinstalling the OS but to no avail. System temps seem normal. The slow down only last for no more then a second but fps drops down to about 3-5. Any help would be appreciated. The games I've had this in are Left 4 Dead and Call of Duty: World at War. It usually takes about 10 minutes or so for the drops to begin, and from then on it does it pretty frequently. It also seems like alt-tabbing staves off the effects for a bit.

Intel Q6600 @ 2.40ghz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX260

3 gigs ram 240 pin

190 gig harddrive SATA

700 watt power supply

MSI diamond motherboard

Antec 900 case (with plenty of fans)

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Yuzkoff
Welcome to G2G can you go to device manager and check you video IRQ and see if it is sharing
the IRQ with another device.
Right click on my computer and go to properties you will then fin device manager.
Cheers
Peterm

yuzkoff

yuzkoff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply, I'm looking under device manager and not seeing anything about IRQ. Under Display adapter there isn't any conflict.

yuzkoff

yuzkoff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been looking at this IRQ conflict issue on a few sites and I dunno if this could be it. The only card I have in my system is my GPU.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
ok back to device manager, click on the + sign next to the video card. This should expand down.
right click on the dropped down item and click on properties.
click on the resources tab. Any conflicts?
Your card could have conflicts with onboard parts, It does not have to be with another add on card.
Cheers
Peterm