Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Test Failure

• Please log in to reply

crbullseye

crbullseye

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I replaced the power supply on my Dell 4500, when the computer went to reboot I get the error message "Test Media Failure" when it trys to boot. Any ideas would be great! Thanks.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post FULL error message.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Check the connections on your hard drive.
If every thing is connected then you may have a failed hard drive.

crbullseye

crbullseye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the advice! Checked cable on another computer worked fine, did find a pushed in pin on hard drive, could that be my issue? If that is the issue, is there anyway to recover my data from it? Like a novice, I didn't back up my data!! To other novices, back up your data ALWAYS!!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hard drives will have 1 pin missing. This is normal.
Go into the bios and make sure that it not set to boot from a network drive. Let us know what it is set for.

crbullseye

crbullseye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, this was a pin besides the missing one. It was pushed in and I straightened best I could. The BIOS shows it is to boot from hardrive!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did that fix the problem?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Thanks, this was a pin besides the missing one. It was pushed in and I straightened best I could. The BIOS shows it is to boot from hardrive!

That could cause the problem, the bent pin. All 40 need to be connected for it to work (as far as I know).

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just as a FYI. Its a 40 pin cable and there are only 39 pins on the hard drive (there is 1 pin that is not on the drive/ missing). How many of those are used I do not know.

crbullseye

crbullseye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Nope still get same error message! Checked BIOS, boot from HD. The HD is shown but keep getting the message. have seen where people says its trying to boot from the network, but I don't have network cable plugged in. Who knows! lol

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

"Test Media Failure"

Is this the complete message?

crbullseye

crbullseye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF Exiting intel boot agent

This is the complete message :)

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF Exiting intel boot agent

This is the complete message :)

DOH!!!! This is it testing for booting of network, if I remember correctly. Set your HD boot priority as the first one.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 03 December 2008 - 05:25 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
...and disable boot from network (wording is different on every machine, may say Integrated NIC, Network, PXE-xxxxxxx)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Ok, if he has done everything we have asked (cables, boot from HD,etc) there is not much left.

Are you sure that the bent pin did go into the connector and did not get bent again?
I would say to reset the bios next. There is usually something in the bios screen "to reset to factory settings" If not, then a jumper on the board by the battery, or pull the battery.

You might very well be looking at a bad hard drive. Again, is the drive seen in the bios?