Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Alternative methods to increase internet speed

• Please log in to reply

papastln06

papastln06

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so please bear with me. I'm not very computer literate either, so I apologize if this sounds stupid. I live in a small very rural town that has DSL internet. It is very shotty. Always going out. Terribly slow. Pretty much had to stop playing any online games due to the constant lagging, and super long download times. I am unable to get cable internet or satellite due to contractal crap with Windstream (my current ISP). I also supposedly have the Broadband 6.0 Mbps package. That is the highest that they offer in my area. Not helping at all. Windstream says that there is nothing wrong on their end. I had them replace the modem and I have had all the phone lines in the house checked and a few replaced. Is there anything that could help me? Any other internet service that I could try? I am at my witts end with this mess. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

I did a speed test at speedtest.net Not sure if this is for real or not. but here are the results. 6063 kb/s-download 322 kb/s-upload ISP Windstream Communications Server: Atlanta GA Ping: 41ms
distance 50 miles. I dont know if this is helpful or not. Like I said I dont know much about computers. From what the website said these are good speeds, but I dont see these kind of speeds. I am having to stop what I am doing about every 5 minutes or so. Ridiculous.

Thank you,
papastln06

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Your speed test results show that you are getting what you are paying for. Try more speed tests at different times and see if there are any times that it gets much slower. How is your network set up? Do you have a separate router, or does your modem have routing capabilities?

Edited by Gnomad1600, 30 November 2008 - 01:34 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Also...

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")

papastln06

papastln06

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hello again,
sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this question.
I just wanted to say that I appreciate the help, but right now it is a mute
point. Got laid off and this has to be put on hold.

Thanks again.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'm sorry to hear bad news...