Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opening pictures in email

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
:tazz:
I often receive or try to send pictures that come and go as red Xs in squares. My recipents tell me they cannot open the pictures and I cannot open such pictures either. I have tried using the following programs to no avail:

Paint
quicktime
Windows pic and fax viewer
irfanview
Windows media player

Have also been unable to learn the extensions on many of these pictures that were sent. Can anyone advise what I am doing wrong or what I can do to access pictures that arrive as red Xs or how to send pictures so they will not arrive as red Xs and unaccessible to my recipients? It seems to make no difference whether I send the pictures as attachments or within the email itself.

My PC is WinXP SP2, IE browser, Ram 512, Outlook Express email program. Only extra visual program I have is Irfanview.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If it comes as a red x, it means the picture is not there...you will never be able to see them. The red x is html's way of telling you that the image is missing

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*

If it comes as a red x, it means the picture is not there...you will never be able to see them. The red x is html's way of telling you that the image is missing

View Post

not exactly "HTML's way" Firefox will just put the alternitive text there, and Opera will put a box around the alternitive text without a box. But yeah, it just means the picture wasn't where the HTML was pointing to. Where are the pictures? Are they being uploaded? A remote server?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
firefox will not put alternative text in there if the tag is missing....and we're not talking about web, we're discussing email.

To be perfectly accurate, this is the way that microsoft browser's engine, which is used by Outlook and outlook express to render html based documents, denotes an img tag that refers to an image that does not exist.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thank you so much for this info. So if the pictures do NOT exist re the red Xs can you advise how to send a picture so that it will exist? Is there some special path to use? Some extension that should be used for the pictures? Thanks again for your info.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i think we need to see how you are attaching/inserting the image to be of much help.....

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Be happy to do so but not sure how. Of course if you mean you actually have to see and that would be impossible re email - then I understand we can't do that. Happy to tell you how I do it if that helps. And again thanks for your pursuing this thread and trying to help me.