Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Access Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

thierryd

thierryd

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

My PC has been working fine for 2 years, however i recently got a msg saying:
file\i386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded . Error code 14

It keeps doing this so i changed the boot sequence to boot from windows install CD... however it does not work, i get a msg saying that i should type R to access recovery console but it does not work....

I am stuck as i cannot do anything... all i can do is go in the bios settings but appart from that i cannot access the command prompt or access the recovery console....

Thank you in advance for your help

Regards

Thierry

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
What brand is your computer, and what are you using for a keyboard? Is it USB or PS/2?

thierryd

thierryd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

it's a computer i built myself and i'm using a usb cable.

Regards

Thierry

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
That would explain it. The Windows Setup (in my experience) does not recognize a straight USB keyboard. If you have a PS/2 keyboard plugged into a USB adapter, then it will recognize it, but it won't recognize a straight USB keyboard. You'll need to get a simple PS/2 keyboard for it to work (and yes, some BOIS's do recognize USB, which is why you can do stuff in there but not in the recovery console.)

I first ran into this issue when Dell stopped putting PS/2 on their computers a few years ago, that's how I know.