Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! first time builder

• Please log in to reply

usafjonny04

usafjonny04

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok here's my situation... i'm leaving for deployment in jan. and have a wife at home that wants to have a desktop computer. i was thinking about building one for her but i have no experience in doing so. i would like some suggestions on whether i should buy a premade tower or try to get help from other people and do it myself. we are getting a new plasma tv and she wants to hook the computer up to that so she doesn't have to sit at a desk all day. (she's pregnant) i want to build a decent gaming system so that i can play games on it also and she wants it for games like simcity societies and things like that which any computer could handle. so if i could get any suggestions on what im getting myself into, please any advise would help. thanks

Edited by usafjonny04, 30 November 2008 - 09:13 AM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi usafjonny04, welcome to GeeksToGo!

I always recommend building your own. You gain experience by doing so and you also know what parts you are using instead of some mediocre parts most pre-built computers have. It is also much easier to upgrade if you build your own. It is not hard to build one as long as you follow the instructions provided and note that we also have a pinned thread in this section of the forum: How To Build Your Own Computer.

Before I suggest some parts, could you answer a few questions for me?
1) Will you be overclocking this system?
2) What games will you be playing?
3) What is your budget?
4) Will you be needing OS, keyboard and mouse?

Kamille

usafjonny04

usafjonny04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
well i would probably be using it for ages of empires 3, call of duty, and maybe WOW. I don't know what overclocking is so i can't help you with that... lol. my budget is probably gonna be around $1000. and yes i would need an OS.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Here's what I suggest:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P - $136.99 (with a $20 Mail-In-Rebate)
Antec 300 - $49.95
EVGA 9800GTX+ - $184.99 (with a $20 Mail-in-Rebate)
PC Power & Cooling 500W - $79.99 (with a $20 Mail-in-Rebate)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - $164.99
Corsair DDR2-800 4GB 2x2GB - $54.99 (with a $30 Mail-in-Rebate)
Seagate 7200.11 500GB - $64.99
Samsung 22X DVD-drive - $24.99
Vista Home Premium 64-bit - $99.99
Total = $861.87 ($771.87 after the rebate)

You can also choose these two components below if you like:
Coolermaster Centurion 590 - $49.99
I don't know what style or look you want but either one of the cases I listed are good.
Gigabyte EP45-DS3L - $104.99 (with a $15 Mail-in-Rebate)
This motherboard is also good, the difference between the two is that the UD3P has 2 extra SATA ports and an extra PCI-Express slot.

Hope that helps.
Kamille