Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

do i need a new power supply for this mobo?

• Please log in to reply

TRBMan

TRBMan

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i bought the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R a few days ago. After reading some reviews, I noticed someone said something about having an up to date power supply. I looked into it and saw that this motherboard requires an 8-Pin and 24-Pin power cable. I currently have the power supply that came with this JPAC Computer case. (i am very aware that this case is a p.o.s. I only bought it because of its price on ebay). The power supply in the case only has a 4-pin and 24-pin power cable. Do i need to buy a new power supply? Or can I use one of the 4-pin to 8-pin and 20-pin to 24-pin adapters like this one.

Here are my specs.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core
Kingston HyperX 4GB 2x2GB PC28500 DDR2
ATI Radeon HD3650
160GB SATA HDD
40GB IDE HDD
IDE DVDROM Drive

Edited by TRBMan, 30 November 2008 - 11:54 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 24 pin plug can happily work with a 20 pin power supply.

The 8 pin 12v is an entirely different kettle of fish. In theory you should be able to use it also with a 4 pin connector, however this behaviour is entirely dependent on the board. If when you received it 4 of the 8 pins were covered up then it should be fine but then again it may not be.

Adaptors to convert 4pin to 8pin are available but introducing all kinds of accessories like this tends to complicate things when you're troubleshooting later on. A decent power supply with all the ends you need on and a lot more to boot would probably be a far simpler option.

TRBMan

TRBMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i read the online manual for my motherboard and it said they a 4-pin is absolutely fine unless you are using over 130W for your processor (Core 2 Extreme Edition processors).

since i'm using the Q6600, i should be fine since it maxes out around 105W.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

i read the online manual for my motherboard and it said they a 4-pin is absolutely fine unless you are using over 130W for your processor (Core 2 Extreme Edition processors).

since i'm using the Q6600, i should be fine since it maxes out around 105W.

Personally, I would keep what you have for now (provided the PSU is not a garbage company like LC, L&S, Allied, Deer, and so on, which run a high risk of killing your system). If it is one of those I would replace it ASAP, no matter the motherboard, unforunately, these are commonly included in cheapie cases.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 01 December 2008 - 08:39 PM.