Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

UPS Question

• Please log in to reply

Primevi1

Primevi1

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Ive had 2 power outages recently and both times my PC has shut off along with the UPS. I have a 750W PSU but I used a power calculator and it says I should be running under 400W (~375W) at idle. The UPS is a CyberPower 550VA (330W). Shouldn't this be just powerful enough to keep the rig running for at least a couple mins giving me time to shut it down? Instead it beeps right away as if there is not enough power, and the comp and monitor instantly shut off...not good.

Anyway is the UPS defective or is there something im missing?

Edited by Primevi1, 30 November 2008 - 12:27 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The PSU in the computer is the maximum amount of power it can provide under load. You won't be using all 750w.

All a UPS is at the end of the day is effectively a large battery. 200VA is typically enough to power a computer without a monitor so if yours goes off straight away this would suggest an issue with the UPS or its not actually charging its internal batteries. The whole point of a UPS obviously is for it to take over when mains electricity fails and when its not doing that, to charge its own batteries up for when the time comes.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
All good UPS Suppliesd should beep to inform you that it has switched to battery power. If you have a UPS that has a computer connection, it may be set up to should off a non-essential monitor and to initiate proper shut-down. If you do not have an UPS that "talks" to your computer, then you will need to start a proper shutdown on your own within the time limit allowed by your unit.

You might check the power set up within Windows itself to be sure you have it properly configured. Mine has one to set up my UPS in Win XP. Haven't checked Vista, but I use it on my laptop so no UPS needed.

As long as the average power usage you use can be provided by your UPS, it should provide enough time to shut down properly.

Also, look carefully if you have several AC outlets on your UPS. Mine has 4, but only 2 provide battery backup. The other 2 shut off when power is lost. They are used mostly for the protection the UPS still provides to equipment plugged in, but does not help since they are not a battery power backup. You could be plugged into the ones that do not provide AC when power is lost.

OK. Took time to look up your unit:

Product Features

* 8 total outlets, all with surge protection and 4 with battery backup
* 550VA rating with 330 watts of power NOTE: You are running close to or over this unit's rating at times.
* 890-joule surge energy rating
* Battery run time up to 60 minutes
* Phone/fax/modem/DSL communication protection ports
* USB/serial connectivity
* Shutdown software included
* CyberPower $75,000 connected-equipment warranty

SOURCE

Edited by Major Payne, 30 November 2008 - 03:38 PM.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
All I have hooked up to it is the monitor and computer, and they are both plugged into the powered sockets.

My guess is that it is trying to draw more from the UPS than it can give...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

My guess is that it is trying to draw more from the UPS than it can give...

Well, you have to check your Windows power options first before assuming this, but I would suspect the unit is underpowered for your setup. Especially if you use intensive graphics software/hardware or you are a serious gamer.

Since "Shutdown software" is included, I would run the program and see if you have it set up correctly.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Ugh, I have had THREE of this model (or the 485VA which is a step below it) all of them do the EXACT thing you mention. I have had several older Cyber Powers (don't remember the VA). THey worked fine, just the newer black 485VA and 550VA, had one computer die during a lightening strike while plugged into one. That ANGERED ME. It has gotten to the point I only trust APS anymore, even then only their good stuff (then again I am very paranoid).