Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Shum

Shum

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently aquired a seagate 500 Gig external hard drive. I have a dell laptop and I don't want to use all the memory for itunes and photos. Right now when I import cd's to itunes or transfer photos to my pc they are stored on both my pc and my external hard drive, I want them only to be stored on the external hard drive and not my pc. Isn't this possible?

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
And what if your external drive fails? You won't have your files saved anywhere else so it's a double disaster.
Is that really a risk you're willing to take?

Hard disks can and do fail, even modern ones, by their very nature of having constantly moving parts.
I'm so acutely aware of this myself (I've had two newish hard disks fail on me in the past 5 years) that
I save all my pics and other files on three hard disks -- the system disk, a second internal disk, and an external disk
(oh, and even then I keep them backed up on DVD's). Call that overkill if you like, but I call it learning from experience.

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 01 December 2008 - 12:35 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

And what if your external drive fails? You won't have your files saved anywhere else so it's a double disaster.
Is that really a risk you're willing to take?

Hard disks can and do fail, even modern ones, by their very nature of having constantly moving parts.
I'm so acutely aware of this myself (I've had two newish hard disks fail on me in the past 5 years) that
I save all my pics and other files on three hard disks -- the system disk, a second internal disk, and an external disk
(oh, and even then I keep them backed up on DVD's). Call that overkill if you like, but I call it learning from experience.

This man speaks the truth. I had three laptops HDs die within 1 month. All for various reasons (one, my own was because it got pulled off a table on accident by a friend of mine, the rest were just because it was that drives time).