Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Single Card vs. SLI

• Please log in to reply

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I have a general question. How much better is a nVidia GeForce GTX 260 216 Black Edition in SLI verses just a single one of those. What about those in SLI verse a single GTX 280? How much more performance am I actually gaining?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The XFX Black Edition GTX 260 Core 216 is the highest clocked GTX 260 Core 216. As such, just a single one runs neck-and-neck with the GTX 280 (at stock speeds) in most cases. Two of them in SLI will offer up to ~75% increased performance in some games, but no or very little performance increase in others. On average, I'd say SLI offers around a 50% performance increase, but you're paying 100% more (and then some, as nVidia motherboards tend to cost more than their Intel counterparts).

If you were in the market for a new card, the GTX Core 216 is a great choice. However, it seems to be a moot point, as you already have a GTX 280! :) If you want to upgrade, your best choice is another GTX 280.

Edited by stettybet0, 30 November 2008 - 01:59 PM.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Thanks for the info. Im actually not the one who is looking. My friend came across the black edition and wanted to know how it stacks up against a gtx 280. Then he thought about SLIing two of them and wanted to know how much more of a performance increase it would be. So thanks for answering the question.

Cheers :)