Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local disk c onto local disk e ?

• Please log in to reply

549may

549may

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi
I have got a dell , that wev had for about 4-5 yrs , we had a guy upgrade the ram and put in a new hard drive ? , but i cant even get a microsoft update cos it keeps trying to go on disk c , which is full . As you may of grasped , I not computer literate yet , so simply simple please
Cheers Debs

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
welcome to geeks to go.

I take it that the new hard drive is just a spare and did not replace the original drive.
If the original drive is still in use and is full, then you will not be able to install/ update.
Microsoft updates need to install where the OS is, and that is the C drive.

What is the size of the C drive? and how much is free?
What is the size of the E (new drive)? and how much is free?

Go to my computer/right click on the disk/ choose properties/. This will give us what we need.

To give you more room on C drive, there are a few things we can do. Such as clean all the temp files, move data (such as pictures, documents, songs, etc) to the new drive. Also the programs you have can be installed on the new drive (they will, of course, need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled).

549may

549may

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi runner
iv got 33.5 gb on c drive with 113mg available . Then on my new one there is 140 gb with just 8.9 used . I have removed almost everything i think i can from c drive , but it just wont frre any more space . Thing is I thought by getting another drive fitted that id be able to use it just like the c . when i want to download anything , it says i cant .Any help appreciated . Thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you cleaned out all the cookies, internet cache, and temp files?
You still have stuff you can clean out/ move. 33.5gb installed is a lot.
Have you uninstalled everything you do not need?
Have you uninstalled/ and reinstalled any programs to the new drive?

My company laptop is full at 35gb out of 49gb. And I know I have a lot of programs I need and use and a lot of files I save. I am cleaning that up.

Both Firefox and IE give you options of where to download files to.