Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Multiple Screens

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was recently in an interview where the HR representative was running multiple screens off of one processor with different full page documents open on each screen. I was wondering what kinds of specs are necessary to run something like this. I am looking at creating a setup like this for my home office. I run a new DELL XPS X1330 with a DUO Processor and 4 GIG of RAM. I also run a 500 gig external hard-drive with this setup on the side so the laptop itself is lightening fast. I handle a lot of docs because of my job and being able to set it up where I can handle multiple docs on multiple screens at one time would be a real help. Thanks for any supportive tips that anyone can offer.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Any decent graphics card with multi-monitor output can do this and it doesn't need to be particularly powerful. A lot of laptops can do this as well on the basis that the screen is one monitor and most of them have a separate 15 pin VGA output as well. All you do is change the settings in Windows and Bob's your uncle. Or Tom, or Fred, or...

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi texas_teacher and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I agree with Neil. Laptops come with their own VGA output port on the back.

You should be able to plug the monitor into that VGA port in the back of the laptop, and then change Windows settings to extend your desktop to it as long as your video chipset has multi-monitor support and the necessary drivers.

Here are some instructions on how you can extend your desktop to the second monitor.

(1) Turn on your computer and login as usual.

(2) When ready, right click on any open space on the Desktop and click on Properties.

(3) The Display Properties window will now open. Click on the Settings tab located at the top of the window

(4) Inside of the large gray box in the center of the window, you should see two boxes. One has a #1 and the other has a #2. Click on the #2 box.

(5) If you look below you will see an empty check box which says "Extend my desktop onto this monitor." Place a check mark inside of that box by clicking on it.

(6) Click on the Apply button and then the OK button.

At this time, the original laptop monitor should be the primary, and you can drag windows over to the secondary monitor.

If you need any additional help with this, please let us know!

Good luck! :)

Edited by Facedown98, 02 December 2008 - 09:44 PM.