Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Touching 1 Folder causing Not Responding (Fixed)

• Please log in to reply

Kalwin

Kalwin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I am having an odd problem and I am coming to a point where I can't seem to find a fix. I've done a lot to find the issue or fix it but can't seem to fix it.

I am currently running Windows XP SP3 at the moment and it is a fairly new install. While moving a large folder from one another computer, a Vista Home Premium, to this computer seems to be where the issue began. There was some issues with the transfer, namely the other PC's networking stopped working during the transfer. This is where I first saw the problem. Whenever I touch the folder trying to access it, the folder hangs then goes "Not Responding". This folder is inside of another folder with more folders in the same main folder. I have no problems accessing the other folders or any other folder on the Hard Drive. One step I tried, seemed to work is, I went into safe mode and I can touch the folder fine there and was able to move the contents of the folder to another hard drive to finish the transfer after I restarted. I then deleted the hanging up folder and restarted the computer. I finished the transfer and had to move the folder back due to the other Hard Drive is just a small back up hard drive that I use. After I created a similar named folder to the original spot and moved the folder to the main hard drive. The problem started to happen again, exactly the same issue, the folder hangs then goes "Not Responding".

This folder contains picture files of various types and sizes with tons of smaller folders for organization of the files. This folder is also huge in size total, but I had no trouble with it on the other smaller hard drive.

Thank you for your time. Any help will be awesome as I am at the end of my rope. I hope I haven't overlooked something in the process.

Edited by Kalwin, 01 December 2008 - 02:39 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Kalwin...

Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click "Ok".
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.
wannabe1

Kalwin

Kalwin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
wannabe1, I tried that and the problem continues to occur. I had no errors when I used that command and restarted.

Something new I discovered, I went to another computer at my home on the same network and was able to get to the folder and access it. This other computer is a Windows XP system as well. So it seems to only being occur on my PC.

Ok, on a wild idea I decided to look at something for another folder, while being in the same folder as the hanging one, and I changed the Use this Folder Type as a Templete setting in Customize this Folder..., and now the problem is gone, I don't know if it will come back but for now but it works now.

Overall, was an odd experience trying to find the problem and fix it.

Thanks for reading and helping.

Edited by Kalwin, 01 December 2008 - 02:39 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for letting us know how you solved this problem. It was a new one on me.... :)