Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MFT Folder

• Please log in to reply

cuff

cuff

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello
What is the MFT folders and what is their purpose?

Thanks
Ernest

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Master File Table
Read this for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

cuff

cuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
HI
Thanks for the reply. If I understand correctly, the mft is a master record of all computer activity no matter what. The reason I asked, when I got my second computer just for my Microsoft FSX sim, I uninstalled the program and deleted what got left over. Plus deleteing fsx files during normal use. I used my tuneup unitlities to do a undelete just to see what was there and was surprised to see a lot of fsx stuff come up, along with a few uninstalled games that my wife got via Big Fish Games. Needless to say, I did not allow the undelete to take place, was just curious.
Is there any harm in letting that stuff stay? Does it evently overwrite? Can that residue junk even be deleted at all?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and replying.

Regards
Ernest

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Rule # 2; If it is not broken, do not fix it.
Leave the files as they are.
The "Tune up" programs are crap. They realy do not do much to help your computer other then clean out the temporary files.
ATF cleaner, or Ccleaner are the two best programs for cleaning out uneeded files.
NEVER use an automated registry cleaner! Sure, it says that it fixed 987 errors in your registry but it really did nothing at all.
Registry cleaners do NOT increase your machines performance to a noticable difference.
Rule #3 If you are unsure about what action to take, take no action.
This goes hand in hand with rule #2.
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

cuff

cuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for your imput.
I have been using ATF and Ccleaner for quite awhile now.

Ernest