Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help in choosing a new netword card

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi,

My network card has broken and I need some help choosing a replacement. I don't know anything about them. My motherboard manual isn't specific (to me).

This is my motherboard. I put in its specs in case they're needed:

- ASUS A8V-VM SE Socket 939 Micro ATX Motherboard - UDMA133, SATA
. . . VIA K8M890 + VT8237A
. . . 2000/1600 HT/s
. . . Dual-channel DDR400, Max 2GB
. . . VIA Integrated Gfx in North Bridge K8M890
. . . 1 x PCI-E X16, 1 X PCI-E X 1, 2X PCI
. . . 2 *ATA133 ,2 x SATA
. . . 10/100 LAN
. . . 6-Channel audio

I also attached a picture of the network card mentioned in the manual. It's all the information it gives.

I want to get a good card, a fast one, if they have speeds. I'd like to keep the price under $50.00.

I hope you can help . . . it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Even decent network cards cost less than $50 -- I wouldn't pay any more than $20 - $25 as they are all basically the same chipset, you're only paying for the name if you pay more, not getting higher quality. Any 10/100 network card that fits into a PCI-Express or standard PCI slot will work on your PC. Since your PC has both types of slot, you need to check what slots are unused so you get the right type of card for that slot, since cards for each type are not interchangeable.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Even decent network cards cost less than $50 -- I wouldn't pay any more than $20 - $25 as they are all basically the same chipset, you're only paying for the name if you pay more, not getting higher quality. Any 10/100 network card that fits into a PCI-Express or standard PCI slot will work on your PC. Since your PC has both types of slot, you need to check what slots are unused so you get the right type of card for that slot, since cards for each type are not interchangeable.

This is NOT quite true. There are enterprise level cards and home user level cards. Now within home user level cards no there is not much variation, but between enterprise level and home user level there is a LOT of variation. Especially in areas such as CPU utilization and efficiency of bandwidth usage (a home card may get 80Mbit while the intel card may get 90Mbit on the same 100Mbit line, these are just arbitrary numbers I can't find my comparative link right now but enterprise cards are significantly better performing). Intel makes some REALLY good cards but they can be really costly, I would look for used Intel NIC's (network interface cards, otherwise known as network cards) on ebay and see if you can find a good one in the price range you mention.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...p3286.m20.l1116

Such as this one, which is out of your price rance but is a PCIex1 gigabit network card. I found this just by looking for PCIe Intel Gigabit. Now that being said, if you go with a PCI networking card ignore gigabit cards as the PCI pipeline maxes out at 133M (shared by ALL pci devices).

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 01 December 2008 - 07:33 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Hi Grandad and Pedro,

Thanks for replying. With your info, I looked around the net and just bought one. :)

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Well, I purchased a network card but there are no expansion slots available. One is used for my LCD monitor, the second one is used for my firewire card and the third one is used for my SATA card.

I couldn't figure out why I didn't know what I needed to purchase (my reason for coming here).

The only available expansion slot is the PCI Express Slot which is very small (which will fit the Ethernet Card in the picture attached) and it's made for a PCI Express Network Card or an SCSI card. Would a PCI Express Network Card or the Ethernet Card connect me to the internet?

I think that, if anything at all, I need a LAN card. I was told by my isp that I needed a network card so I thought that he knew what he was talking about. My LAN connector is part of my motherboard, so I think that either the LAN cable is defective or the port on my motherboard is defective. If it's not the cable, I think that I'll probably need a new motherboard, unless computer repair shops can fix motherboards, which I don't think they do. Do they? The light next to the LAN connector is lit orange and, in the mobo manual, an orange light means that it's working, but it's not.

The picture shows the connector that's built into my motherboard for my internet connection.

I might have one more option, which is remove either the firewire card or the SATA card, if the PCI Network card will fit in the slot and then will also connect me to the internet, not just a network.

Would a PCI Express Network Card connect me to the internet? The PCI Express slot is all that's available.

Does anyone have any thoughts on all this?

I've been without a computer for 5 days now, so please hurry with an answer if you can.

Edited by Denisejm, 03 December 2008 - 06:38 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Well, I purchased a network card but there are no expansion slots available. One is used for my LCD monitor, the second one is used for my firewire card and the third one is used for my SATA card.

I couldn't figure out why I didn't know what I needed to purchase (my reason for coming here).

The only available expansion slot is the PCI Express Slot which is very small (which will fit the Ethernet Card in the picture attached) and it's made for a PCI Express Network Card or an SCSI card. Would a PCI Express Network Card or the Ethernet Card connect me to the internet?

I think that, if anything at all, I need a LAN card. I was told by my isp that I needed a network card so I thought that he knew what he was talking about. My LAN connector is part of my motherboard, so I think that either the LAN cable is defective or the port on my motherboard is defective. If it's not the cable, I think that I'll probably need a new motherboard, unless computer repair shops can fix motherboards, which I don't think they do. Do they? The light next to the LAN connector is lit orange and, in the mobo manual, an orange light means that it's working, but it's not.

The picture shows the connector that's built into my motherboard for my internet connection.

I might have one more option, which is remove either the firewire card or the SATA card, if the PCI Network card will fit in the slot and then will also connect me to the internet, not just a network.

Would a PCI Express Network Card connect me to the internet? The PCI Express slot is all that's available.

Does anyone have any thoughts on all this?

I've been without a computer for 5 days now, so please hurry with an answer if you can.

A PCIex1 network card will connect you to your network. Your NETWORK then needs to be connected to the internet. Your network may just be your cable modem/dsl modem and your computer (not recommended) or your cable/dsl modem-->router-->your computer (safer). If you can connect to your network with your current card, it isn't broken. If you wouldn't mind giving me some more info on how your setup is hooked up maybe we can help you a bit more.

DO you have DSL or Cable or something else?
Do you have a router?
Is it wireless+wired, or just wired?

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 03 December 2008 - 07:54 PM.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I have access to the internet now. I know some things about computers but this one had me stumped and, when in doubt, ya go to the pc gurus for advice, if you're smart. :)

I've been looking around the internet on my daughter's computer for threads about people not being able to connect to the internet. When I Start > Run > [typed] ipconfig, there were no numbers. That was when the man at my isp told me that I would need a new network card even though the orange light was lit. I figured he knew more than me so I bought the network card.

When I was at one forum where someone couldn't get on the internet, the advise given to the person was to set a static IP address. She had numbers in her ipconfig (I didn't) and she was able to get onto the internet.

My setup here is that the cable comes into a Netgear Wireless Gateway Cable/Router combo. The cable from outside connects to the combo and the combo is connected to my computer. The wireless signal is for two other computers in my house. They both worked fine, which seemed strange, but I again felt that my isp tech knew better.

I went upstairs to my daughter's computer and wrote down her IP address which ended in 2 so I set my last number at 1. The SubNet Mask automatically set itself at 255.255.255.0 and I set the Gateway address to have my last number as 1 again. I went into Control Panel and turned off my firewall and went into Network Connections, right clicked, clicked Enable (I disabled it because I got tired of seeing the yellow ball bounce from one monitor to another in my systray), and I have access to the internet again.

I wrote all this down so that if someone has a similar problem, this might be a solution for them as well.

Thanks for your help and willingness to help. :) :wave: . . . both are much appreciated!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I have access to the internet now. I know some things about computers but this one had me stumped and, when in doubt, ya go to the pc gurus for advice, if you're smart. :)

I've been looking around the internet on my daughter's computer for threads about people not being able to connect to the internet. When I Start > Run > [typed] ipconfig, there were no numbers. That was when the man at my isp told me that I would need a new network card even though the orange light was lit. I figured he knew more than me so I bought the network card.

When I was at one forum where someone couldn't get on the internet, the advise given to the person was to set a static IP address. She had numbers in her ipconfig (I didn't) and she was able to get onto the internet.

My setup here is that the cable comes into a Netgear Wireless Gateway Cable/Router combo. The cable from outside connects to the combo and the combo is connected to my computer. The wireless signal is for two other computers in my house. They both worked fine, which seemed strange, but I again felt that my isp tech knew better.

I went upstairs to my daughter's computer and wrote down her IP address which ended in 2 so I set my last number at 1. The SubNet Mask automatically set itself at 255.255.255.0 and I set the Gateway address to have my last number as 1 again. I went into Control Panel and turned off my firewall and went into Network Connections, right clicked, clicked Enable (I disabled it because I got tired of seeing the yellow ball bounce from one monitor to another in my systray), and I have access to the internet again.

I wrote all this down so that if someone has a similar problem, this might be a solution for them as well.

Thanks for your help and willingness to help. :) :wave: . . . both are much appreciated!

Wow that worked? I'll try to be as abstract as possible and don't let the numbers bog you down.

Usually the way to set it up is:
Router: 192.168.2.1 (or 192.168.xxx.yyy) I think netgears default is usually 192.168.2.xxx, all you need to do is keep 192.168.xxx constant (no matter the value for xxx (it could be 0, 1, 2, 222 etc.)
First comptuer: 192.168.2.2 (note 192.168.2 is held constant)
Second Computer: 192.168.2.3
Gateway: 192.168.2.1 (the same as the router, router in this case is also the gateway).
Subnet is 255.255.255.0

I will not get into discussing subnets as they can be confusing as [bleep]. Just know that the subnet needs THAT value. What this says is if I want something that is not found with an address of 192.168.2.yyy, ask 192.168.2.1 about it and to get it for me.

Unless I misunderstood it, the way you have it setup right now, everythign is asking your comptuer to get stuff for it. Which is a bit odd, as your computer is not the gateway.

Whatever works though.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Unless I misunderstood it, the way you have it setup right now, everythign is asking your comptuer to get stuff for it. Which is a bit odd, as your computer is not the gateway.

Do you think it would be better if I changed my IP address to 198.162.0.3 instead of 1, just to save some potential problems down the line, and leave leave the Gateway address 198.162.0.1?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Do you think it would be better if I changed my IP address to 198.162.0.3 instead of 1, just to save some potential problems down the line, and leave leave the Gateway address 198.162.0.1?

Honestly, it shouldn't be working at all. So if it works right now, keep it as is. I would be more worried that if you change something it will stop working. Just keep this in mind that for the future.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I had a problem with getting Microsoft/Windows updates and messages about WMI. tried general fixes that are recommended, i.e., change Registry Values, uninstall anti-virus program and replaced it with a different one, ran a
battery of tests to make sure that my pc doesn't have any malware/viruses/trojans/hijackers, and none were found. I received a bunch of suggestions from MS that included making batch files and .exe files and clicking on them. I was then able to get Microsoft/Windows updates again and the first bunch of updates consisted of over 30 updates. I lost internet connection right after they downloaded and installed so, without pointing fingers, it could have been a number of things that caused me to lose connection to the internet, but it isn't hardware related.

The only reason I knew anything about ipconfig is because I used to have to forward ports for a program that I use and I needed the ipconfig info for it.

What started this whole process is interesting. I decided to Repair Windows, as I've done several times over the past years, to get rid of the little bugs (not viruses) that crop up. The first thing I usually do after doing a Repair is to go to MS Update, but there were no updates. I did a lot of reading on the internet and it led me to this, from Microsoft:

This problem occurs because of how the Windows XP repair operation replaces Windows system files. When you repair a Windows installation by using a Windows XP CD, the repair operation performs both of the following operations:
It replaces all the Windows system files with the corresponding files from the CD.

Note This includes the Windows Update files.
It restores the Windows registry.
The latest version of Windows Update includes a file that was not available in the release version of Windows XP. This file is named Wups2.dll. Therefore, after the repair operation is complete, the following situation exists:
The Wups2.dll file remains on the computer.
The registry entries that correspond to this file are missing.
Because the registry files that correspond to the Wups2.dll file are missing, update installations are unsuccessful.

I was able to resolve this problem but another problem arose, with a file named WUAUENG1.dll (or WUAUENG.dll). This was solution that Microsoft gave me and it worked:

Click Start, Run, type: notepad C:\AU.reg and press Enter. Choose Yes
when you are prompted.

2. Copy the following text and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv]

"Description"="Enables the download and installation of Windows updates. If
this service is disabled, this computer will not be able to use the Automatic
Updates feature or the Windows Update Web site."

"DisplayName"="Automatic Updates"

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

"ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,72,00,6f,00,6f,00,
74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,
00,76,00,63,00,68,00,6f,00,73,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,2d,00,
6b,00,20,00,77,00,75,00,67,00,72,00,6f,00,75,00,70,00,00,00

"ObjectName"="LocalSystem"

"Start"=dword:00000002

"Type"=dword:00000020

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv\Parameters]

"ServiceDll"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,57,00,49,00,4e,00,4e,00,54,00,5c,00,73,
00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,77,00,75,00,61,00,75,00,
73,00,65,00,72,00,76,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv\Security]

"Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,a0,00,00,00,ac,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,
00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,
00,00,02,00,70,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,
05,12,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,1c,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,
20,00,00,00,20,02,00,00,00,00,34,00,00,00,18,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,
00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,20,02,00,00,00,00,1c,00,fd,01,02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv\Enum]

"0"="Root\\LEGACY_WUAUSERV\\0000"

"Count"=dword:00000001

"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

3. After we paste the above text, please close the Notepad window. Choose
Yes when you are prompted to save the file.

4. Click Start, click Run, type in REGEDIT and press Enter.

5. Locate the following key by clicking the PLUS(+) sign:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv

6. If this key exists, please right click it and select Delete.

7. Double click C:\AU.reg to import the registry key and select OK.

8. Restart your computer.

So, as you can see, I've been around the mill a few times over the past week.

My own thoughts: If anyone has Windows XP Pro x64, all of the above steps might need to be taken after a format or Repair, including loss of internet service, inability to get MS/Windows Updates, WMI, WUPS, and WUAUENG1.dll.