Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
i have been having some problems with my SATA hard drive recently, and its now just gotten really bad. it started out a couple of days ago when my system said it couldnt boot and that i should repair it by putting in the vista disk. so i did, and it restored my PC to a restore point and my pc worked fine. then, just today,(my pc was working fine last night) after leaving my PC on for about 6-8 hours today, i came home to the sound of my PC going errrrrrrrrrrrr.... my PC was going REALLY slow. everything was freezing up, and so i thought that it would be smart to restart.(by the way the sound was coming from my HD) i pushed the turbo button on my case cause my pc was going too slow to restart, and after the Gigabyte screen, it gave me a "boot disk failure. insert operating system disk and press enter" or something along those lines. i did, but when i wanted to restore my PC to an earlier time, it said i had no operating system to restore to. i dont know what the heck to do, as this was a pretty stable computer and i really dont want to lose all my data, i have some crucial stuff on there. i wouldve backed the stuff up after the first warning, but my external HD was being borrowed by a friend and he was out of town for thanksgiving break, and i dont have many dvd-r's so i was kinda helpless. i mean, does this mean that my hard drive is finsihed? or what?
What the heck can i do??
thanks
tuna

Edited by hoopsman, 01 December 2008 - 02:12 AM.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
To confirm that your hard drive has failed, find out what brand it is and go their website, click the 'customer support' or 'support' link then the 'downloads' section. They will have a diagnostic tool you can download. Use this to create a bootable testing floppy-disk or cd.

If the test confirms the drive has failed I think your only option then is to send the drive to a data-retrieval company.

Too bad you weren't in the habit of keeping regular backups from day one. That's absolutely vital.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
thanks. i will do that as soon as i get home.. but ya as i said i would of backed the stuff up onto my external HD, but my friend had it and was out of town, so i couldnt get it from him. bad stuff always happens at bad times.
thx

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
ok well i went to the seagate website and downloaded the seatools for DOS and it is running a long scan right now. ill report back when it finishes. the quick test is just supposed to take about 2 minutes and for some reason when i ran it it stayed at 10% and didnt move or give me a "pass" or "fail" report, so ill run the quick test again after the long one, and see if it works. hopefully it does

Edited by hoopsman, 01 December 2008 - 10:34 PM.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
alright. so i got my pc to bootup, after the long scan it found a BUTTLOAD of errors, like 120 or something, and passed, and when i went to the short scan, it passed also. looks good for now, but i am going to back up all my necessites just in case. it seems like i might need a new HD, cause i dont know how more stable this is. should i get a new HD or is it probably fine for now? ill try running the .exe seatools.
thx