Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Home: No CD...

• Please log in to reply

smittyd

smittyd

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
I bought a Dell laptop with XP Home Edition on it from a friend of mine. He never had a XP CD. Can I buy a Home Edition CD off of Ebay and will that work with what I have. Or is there a way to make a CD from my computer. I'm curious why a CD didn't come with the purchase of the new computer? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

smittyd

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hey smittyd,

Assuming that your friend is the original owner of the computer, simply fill out an ownership transfer form here, (or here if your friend is from a different country) to get ownership transferred to you. Then just contact Dell Technical Support, either via [url=http://support.dell.com/chat[/url] or phone (800-624-9896) and request the CD. We'll send you a CD overnight, free of charge.

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hello. Thanks for the quick reply. Well, my system number was found after the scan. But an error occurred later in the process that stated: "unable to locate data as entered." There's a strong possibilty that the previous owner didn't send in any registration forms. Could this be the reason? If so, what do you suggest I do next? Thanks...

smittyd

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
My previous statement was made based on the assumption that your friend was the original owner of the laptop. If he isn't, and it has been passed around a bit, you may be unable to transfer ownership to yourself. You should talk to your friend about where he got it, see if you can trace it back to the original owner. If you can't, then you can't get a free CD from Dell.

The CD off of eBay will not work for a fresh install, because it will prompt you for a product key. Even though you have some numbers on a sticker on the bottom of your laptop, that is not an actual product key, just a sticker letting you know that the license you have is a legal one, and that number cannot be used while installing Windows, because it isn't recognized as a valid product key.

You will need either a Dell CD, or a new CD with an unused product key. Or sort the ownership situation out.

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I finally got the transfer. The ownership was in his wife's name. I tried to get on the chat area but it says it doesn't support google's chrome browser. So I used Firefox but still no luck. I called the number you gave. It asked a bunch of questions but nothing to do with this, per se. I even tried the technical support but they wanted to charge me because the warranty has run out. I guess if I could talk to someone live there I could tell them what I need. Thanks...

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I hate to say this, but try Internet Explorer. :)

EDIT: Dell Internal information removed

Argue with them a bit, and then offer to argue with their supervisor. Usually, threatening to escalate is enough to get anything from any company. :)

Edited by The Admiral, 03 December 2008 - 05:50 PM.

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Sorry for the long delay. Been real busy. Still no luck on a XP Home CD. I can't seem to chat on the Dell site: it says that Google chrome browser is not capatible with this chat. I am not using anything considered "chrome." I am using IE 6.0. I even tried to use firefox. Still no good. I tried calling but I get a recording trying to direct you places. But as usual, it's never the right place. Can't seem to ever talk to a live person. Any other suggestions? Thanks...

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Did you put in your service tag and press Submit?

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Yes I put my service number in. It keeps flipping me back and forth between what I have above and below the line. I click retry chat and the bottom part pops up.

* Warranty Status Check

Our records show that your Dell product support warranty has expired. We are
still here for you and offer a variety of solutions, some of which are listed below.

Click here to retry chat.
View current warranty status details.

System Summary

Service Tag: Change Service Tag
System Type: Inspiron 1300/B130
Ship Date: 6/5/2006
Dell IBU: Americas

---------------------------------------------------------------------

* Service Tag:

What is a Service Tag? | Find My Service Tag

Note: This must be the service tag of the system requiring support to ensure proper routing.

Submit

Please note: We apologize for the inconvenience, however, Google’s “Chrome” Browser is not compatible with our Chat application.
To access chat support or chat sales, please choose a different browser.

Chat is an on-line, real time way to contact a Dell technician for troubleshooting and issue resolution. This service is provided for hardware and software covered by your current warranty.
For issues not covered by your warranty, please use our fee-based Dell On Call service (1-888-236-3355).

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hello. What you see above and below the dash lines are all the options I have when on the Dell web site. Any other suggestions? Thanks...