Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuttering with mouse, audio, and video

• Please log in to reply

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Specs if it matters
Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop
1.5 ghz
512 MB RAM
128 MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2 original, but updated to 3 over Windows Update)

Okay so I reformatted and installed Windows XP SP 2 recently. Sometime after doing that and downloading numerous Microsoft updates and updated drivers for my Dell Inspiron 6000, I noticed that my mouse cursor stutters a little bit from time to time as I move it around. I think it happened even after a fresh installation of Winows XP, but I can't remember for sure. The audio and video stutters from time to time for a split second too along with my typing.

How should I go about solving this problem? I already ran spybot, adaware, and Avast virus scan, but they haven't fix anything. Additionally, my Primary IDE Channel is already running in DMA mode. My drivers are all up to date too I think. Below is my HijackThis log

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi Shadow Cloud and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I've gone through the last topic you posted about similar issues... Can I please verify that the stuttering happened even before you wiped the computer and started over with a fresh install of XP? At this point I'm trying to see if this is a new issue, if it has gotten worse after reinstalling, etc.

Edited by Facedown98, 01 December 2008 - 07:36 PM.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No, this problem did not occur right before I did a fresh install of Windows. Although, around maybe two years ago I recall having a similar problem (probably where four of my first posts came from), but that was easily rectified by switching to DMA mode for the Primary IDE Channel.

I should note that with the sound stuttering, there's a slight crackling in the sound too.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So the sound crackling is also a new event?

All drivers are up-to-date, right?

I'm going to continue researching this issue for you. Please sit tight.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I wouldn't say it's new because I think it's directly related to the stuttering issue. It is only recently that I started testing this problem more by playing more audio and video files. As far as I'm concerned, all of my drivers are up to date. I downloaded like every single Windows critical update so far along with all dell drivers from their Inspiron 6000 support site. Furthermore, I'm using Omega drivers for my ATI video card.

By the way, I really appreciate your help.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay I think I may have fixed my problem. I have to wait and see how my laptop performs for today and tomorrow to see if my solution is permanent. I noticed today that I was missing the volume control on my taskbar. After finding out I was missing the SndVol32.exe for some reason in my System32 folder, I downloaded the file and put it back in the System32 folder. Finally, I reenable the volume control icon on my taskbar.

So far my computer appears to have stopped with its stuttering and sound crackling. Hopefully this is a permenant solution, and it is not only a temporary one.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
That's interesting, especially for a fresh install of Windows. :)

Keep me updated. Good luck! :)

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I knew it was too good to be true. After booting my computer up today, I noticed that the stuttering is back. I'm still at a loss at how it disappeared yesterday afternoon. The only thing I did was install Cisco Systems VPN Client and download the SndVol32.exe to my System32 folder.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So did the file disappear again after you replaced it yourself?

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Nope it's still there. However, I seem to have a new problem. In my search for a program to scan my registry, I downloaded a bad file by accident and now I have malware on my laptop. This is much worse compared to the stuttering to say the least. Everytime I open windows explorer to browse my folder I will get the message

Attention, User! Some dangerous viruses detected in your system. Microsoft Windows XP files corrupted. This may lead to the destruction of important files in C:\WINDOWS. Download protection software now!

Afterwards, I'm taking to some site to download some security software no matter if I say yes or no.

I ran spybot, adaware, Anti-Malware, and Avast! so far. They removed some spyware, malware, and trojans, but my problem still persist.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Looks like you have a rogue on there which wants you to think it's a legit application.

Please do not attempt to download/install any programs unless otherwise directed when troubleshooting. That will give us another variable to work with. Let's get you cleaned up, then we will resume.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay my laptop seems to be free of any malware or spyware issue, but I'm still having the same issues with the stuttering. There was one instance two days ago where my hard drive had trouble booting up after my laptop froze. I would boot up my laptop and I would be taken to a black screen after my BIOs loaded. After entering the setup (I didn't do anything there) and exiting the setup, all of a sudden the hard drive was able to be booted along with Windows. Perhaps something wrong is going on with my hard drive?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
We are going to run the System File Checker to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds, but first make sure that you can view protected files.

To make sure that protected files are able to be viewed...

(1) Double click on My Computer
(2) Click on Tools at the top of the window
(3) Click on Folder Options from the drop down menu
(4) Click on the View tab
(5) Uncheck the box next to Hide Protected operating system files
(6) Click on the OK button

Next, we'll run the System File Checker...

(1) Click Start, and then click on Run
(2) Inside of the Run box, type sfc /scannow (There is a space between the sfc and the /)
(3) A box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take

Note: Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. If this happens, insert the Windows XP CD and "rerun" the scan.

Note: If you do not have the CD scroll down to the HOW TO WORK AROUND THIS portion for instructions...

(4) Once the scan is complete, check for Windows Updates by going to https://update.microsoft.com ... You are running Microsoft Update because after using the File Protection Service you will need to reapply some updates.

(5) Reboot and keep me updated with your progress.

(6) If everything turns out ok, make sure to hide those protected files again.

To hide Protected operating system files...

(5) Check the box next to Hide Protected operating system files

==================
HOW TO WORK AROUND INSERTING THE WINDOWS XP CD
Windows Protection Files are usually stored in: C:WINDOWS/System32/Dllcache
C: in most cases is the root drive but yours may be different depending on your system configuration.

The dllcache folder is extremely important so Windows XP hides it from you.

To make sure that protected files are able to be viewed...

(5) Uncheck the box next to Hide Protected operating system files

There is normally no need for the original XP CD to be inserted as your computer has a copy it can get hold of in this cache, but you may need it --- If the Dllcache folder or part of it has become corrupted then you will be prompted for the XP CD so your computer can get a clean copy.

Not ALL installations of Windows XP have ALL the system files cached into this folder. You may only have around 25-50MB of files in this folder under Windows XP depending on the settings in the registry.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE WINDOWS XP CD

Borrow a friend or coworker's retail copy of XP, but it has to be the same version that you have installed --- either Home Edition or Professional Edition. If they do not want to lend you the CD, have them put a copy of the I386 folder on a cd for you and then proceed to Step 1

As well as having a cache of all the system files on your PC, you should have the I386 folder from the XP CD installed on your hard drive. After doing this, it is quite simple to modify the registry to tell it the source path for these files.

This prevents 99% of requests for the the XP CD with Windows File Protection and the I386 folder also contains many other files that are sometimes needed by the operating system and this stops those requests for the XP CD...

HOW TO PUT I386 ON YOUR ROOT DRIVE:

Step 1

You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called: I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going to be C: so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:I386

Step 2

Your computer needs to know that you now have the necessary files on your PC. This is done by editing the registry. Here's how... Type regedit in the Run box on the start menu...

Navigate to...

(1) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
(2) SOFTWARE
(3) Microsoft
(4) Windows
(5) CurrentVersion
(6) Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, (usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C: Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change to the drive letter of your root drive, probably C:

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again

(Thanks to happyrock for these directions)

Edited by Facedown98, 10 December 2008 - 07:25 PM.

Shadow Cloud

Shadow Cloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Okay, after I finished the scan. My computer seem to have ceased with the stuttering. I then installed some security update with the Windows update, my computer is still functioning normally. So I reboot my laptop and upon booting up, the stuttering is back (as evident by the Welcome Windows sound stutter).

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Is the audio the only thing that stutters?

Also keep in mind that you're on 512 MB of RAM. It wouldn't hurt to have a little extra.

Funny that this started up again AFTER updates were applied...

If you can verify for me what exactly is stuttering, I'll be happy ot continue support.